What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

exceeive wifi activity

jo5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ipad air I use on a wireless system used with Hughes Net internet satellite with a fair access of 425 mb a day
Some times when I'm charging it I get a lot of wifi activity ( have a data app and used 1500 mb in a couple hours when on another system) It will use my5oo mb in a very short time The modem lights never stop blinking I have been shutting the wifi off when charging lately
If I shut down holding the side button down It it seems ok even with wifi on
If I do a hard reset using both buttons to shut down it seems to solve the problem for a while
Thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas
Thanks in advance for your help

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and limit the app that are allowed to refresh in the background to only those that are essential. Background app refreshes will use up your data allowance if left unchecked.

Last edited:
OP
J

jo5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to do that also checked and stopped most icloud options

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pretty much any iCloud service you use, especially backups, will tend to refresh while you are plugged into power. The iPad is designed to do a lot of things in the background when you are plugged into power. It's supposed to help prevent unnecessary battery drain. However, this can backfire when you have a very limited data plan, as you do.

The other thing you should do is go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turn off all the automatic downloads there.

Turning off wi-fi when you don't want the iPad using it is probably the only certain way to prevent unexpected data use.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll also want to set up your email account so that it doesn't refresh until you open the app to check your email.

OP
J

jo5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll also want to set up your email account so that it doesn't refresh until you open the app to check your email.
I'll recheck my setting
Thanks for your help

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Keep us updated in case there's more we can help you with.

Most reactions