What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"eWi Fi App": One of the best Apps, no longer supported or operational

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since IOS5, there must be quite a few Apps no longer supported or available. One App that I used quite frequently when travelling to find a free wi fi or unlocked was the "eWi Fi" app.

When I loaded IOS5, I found it would appear on my home pages, but as soon as the signature page loaded, it would drop off and return me to a Home Screen.
Going through the usual procedure and checking my back up,without success, it caused me to send a complaint to Apple.
Their response was that the App is no longer operational and therefore is no longer available from iTunes.
If anyone who has loaded IOS5 and still can use eWiFi I would like to know how they can do it.
There is no replacement App that can do what eWiFi did, all I can find is more like a directory of wifi spots rather than a wifi detector which is what eWiFi basically was.
It worked on iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch just as well and had a fairly good range.
Does any one else have other lost Apps since IOS5 that Apple acknowledge are no longer supported or available.?
Some of these are possibly paid apps, which should be still useable, but Apple for reasons known to themselves, have chosen to let them die off.
IOS 5 is NOT so good if this is what is happening to Apps, even though I understand they are not developed by Apple.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That app has not been available for quite a time. Try completely quitting the app by double pressing the Home button to open the multi-task bar and then pressing and holding any app icon in the bar until they all start to jiggle. Now touch the upper left hand corner of the app's icon to quit it completely. See if that fixes the problem..

Tim

OP
bertair

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but the suggested procedure does not work.
Still left with the eWiFi home screen and then drops out immediately, same as before.
I have done all what is recommended by others and Apple.
Even Apple say it is an incompatiblity problem with IOS5. I guess that is it for the App.
Worth a try thou' as it was so handy.
I wonder if "Authorities" were worried about "unauthorized access" to wifi servers and had it shut down ?
If anyone has not loaded IOS 5 and they have "eWiFi" App still operating I would like to hear form them.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but the suggested procedure does not work.
Still left with the eWiFi home screen and then drops out immediately, same as before.
I have done all what is recommended by others and Apple.
Even Apple say it is an incompatiblity problem with IOS5. I guess that is it for the App.
Worth a try thou' as it was so handy.
I wonder if "Authorities" were worried about "unauthorized access" to wifi servers and had it shut down ?
If anyone has not loaded IOS 5 and they have "eWiFi" App still operating I would like to hear form them.
That's certainly very frustrating. Have you tried contacting the developers? They and all app developers are responsible for keeping apps updated, not Apple (unless of course it's an app made by Apple). I'd certainly let the app developer know how you feel and ask them why they've decided not to keep it current.

chadi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple cut this app and any wifi finding apps out of the store because they were using "private frameworks." basically Apple is saying they were using unapproved code. I suspect that Apple removed the ability to use this app with IOS5 release and the support you contacted is just beating around the bush in this case so they don't have to tell you that Apple will not allow you to use this app any longer. Which sucks because I loved this app. The only to use this app or any others like it is to jailbreak and get it off Cydia.

Most reactions

Latest posts