What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laggy iPad 1

spatterman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an 64Gb iPad 1, running IOS5 (version 5.1.1). I've found that since upgrading to this operating system, my device has become a bit 'sticky' when switching from one app to another. I've taken to shutting down those apps that seem to be memory hogs, such as Bejewelled and Safari, but does anyone have ideas of what else I can do apart from this (together with regular reboots)?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which version did you upgrade from? i.e. which version of IOS did you feel was smoother?

In my experience 5.1.1 is the best of the 5.x firmwares on the iPad1. It was certainly an improvement over 5.1 which I did feel had some lag. If however you are coming up from a 4.x firmware it is possible you can perceive some stickiness as 5.x was a major IOS release which put significantly more strain on the hardware. IOS6 is a similar jump, hence the reason Apple will not provide it for the iPad1.

Another possibility is that you have a problem due to a bad update. This can happen when upgrading IOS. For whatever reason, a file or setting gets stuck or corrupted and causes lag. I've encountered it many times when updating over the years. The best solution for that is, unfortunately, to restore your device using iTunes to a fresh copy of 5.1.1 and set up the device again from a factory fresh state. That invariably resolves issues caused by a problem with the update process.

Hope that helps.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
M'y iPad 1 had the same issue and sometimes was lagging so much, it was unusable for up to a full minute. In my case, it was upgraded on each new release of IOS and was jail broken a while ago for a short period of time.

A few weeks ago, I decided to reset the whole thing to see if it would help, and it did. No more lagging. I still have some crashes from time to time, but a lot less than before the reset...

In my case, it was worth it...

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an ipad1 that my husband is now using. He did not close any apps that he had been using and the iPad became very laggy. I used the 4 finger swipe up and closed all the apps in the tray and now everything is better. Not all the apps were running but keeping the current state also takes up ram, so complete closing does free up ram.

Most reactions

Latest posts