What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erase / Restore Jailbroken iPad 2 … nothing works

tobiand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Jailbroken iPad 2 running 4.3.3 (iTunes on MBP running 10.7). I want to pass this to someone else so want to do an erase/restore or at the very least find a way to change the apple id (currently asks to upgrade before changing).

I've tried for 2 days ploughing through forums and trying everything I can find, but nothing works. Basically somewhere late in the restore or upgrade there is an error connecting to servers.

I have tried:
1. in normal mode connecting to iTunes + backup + restore to backup
2. restoring in DFU mode
3. Tiny Umbrella started TSS servers, then same as 1.
4. Tiny Umbrella started TSS servers, then connect to iTunes + update
5. Opened Terminal entered following command: sudo nano /private/etc/hosts, and checked there is no [FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]gs.apple.com in the file (there isn't)[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]6. Tried no.1 and no. 2 on another computer (windows PC)[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I am happy to upgrade the iPad and lose the jailbrake, or keep it jailbroken and upgrade or not, but I want it as clean as possible and certainly change the apple id.

I am new to iPad hacking / jailbraking so there is a good chance I am missing something simple, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Any help very much appreciated.
[/FONT]

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Jailbroken iPad 2 running 4.3.3 (iTunes on MBP running 10.7). I want to pass this to someone else so want to do an erase/restore or at the very least find a way to change the apple id (currently asks to upgrade before changing).

I've tried for 2 days ploughing through forums and trying everything I can find, but nothing works. Basically somewhere late in the restore or upgrade there is an error connecting to servers.

I have tried:
1. in normal mode connecting to iTunes + backup + restore to backup
2. restoring in DFU mode
3. Tiny Umbrella started TSS servers, then same as 1.
4. Tiny Umbrella started TSS servers, then connect to iTunes + update
5. Opened Terminal entered following command: sudo nano /private/etc/hosts, and checked there is no [FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]gs.apple.com in the file (there isn't)[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]6. Tried no.1 and no. 2 on another computer (windows PC)[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I am happy to upgrade the iPad and lose the jailbrake, or keep it jailbroken and upgrade or not, but I want it as clean as possible and certainly change the apple id.

I am new to iPad hacking / jailbraking so there is a good chance I am missing something simple, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Any help very much appreciated.
[/FONT]

Try seeing if this link helps: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If followed as written, it should result in your iPad being on iOS 7.0.3.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
T

tobiand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,

You completely saved me! Thanks for your help.

Richard.

jared2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought it wasn't possible to "activate" any iOS devices on anything but the latest version anymore... Can someone else confirm that I can do this with my f'ed up iPad 2 on 6.1.2 that I need to maintain a jailbreak on?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can activate any iOS at any given time. Restoring to a specific iOS is a different story.

jared2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you're saying I can restore it to 6.1.2 and it'll activate? I'll try again when I get home, but so far, it hasn't been letting me restore to factory with upgrading as well. Also, the passcode has been tried too many times and iTunes says it's "locked".

Thoughts?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot restore/load iOS 6.1.2 onto an iPad 2. The only iOS you can load on an iPad 2 (or higher) is iOS 7.0.3. Sorry.

Marilyn

jared2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright...I'm confused. Willer is saying I can, Mickey is saying I can't. One of the ipad 2s is on 5.0.1. I've saved the Blobs via TU... is there ANYTHING I can do to get this puppy working that doesn't involve it going to 7.0.3?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alright...I'm confused. Willer is saying I can, Mickey is saying I can't. One of the ipad 2s is on 5.0.1. I've saved the Blobs via TU... is there ANYTHING I can do to get this puppy working that doesn't involve it going to 7.0.3?

You can activate any iOS at any given time. Restoring to a specific iOS is a different story.

You can use ILEX R.A.T. to revert back to iOS 5.0.1 stock with a barebone jailbreak on it (fresh out of the box iPad with a jailbreak retained on it). Restoring to iOS 6 is not possible. If you have iOS 4.X and iOS 5.X for your specific iPad, you can upgrade and downgrade back to this specific iOS 5.X that you have blobs for ASSUMING they have valid APTickets.

I'm addressing the issue has a whole, not with the specifics.

Most reactions

Latest posts