What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email times

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having a few issues with the time registered on new emails
Some state a time earlier than possible.
Sent from source at 9.50 am
iPad clock 9.50am
I receive at 9.51am but email says sent at 8.55.?
Is it at my end or the senders.
Also some emails are taking several hours to arrive on my iPad?
Any thoughts or possibilities?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some email servers 'stamp' the email with the time at the server, others leave the time set to that included from the sending platform. So the emails that 'appear' to be taking many hours to arrive may, possibly, not be taking so long; it may well depend where the email server that processed the email is based. In addition, if you look at the email source (you can't do this on the iPad but if you have a PC there you can 'dig down' into the email and see the underlying 'source'), you'll be able to see not only the real time at which it was sent, but also the time at all of the various intermediate relay points along the route from source to destination.

Furthermore, some servers that aren't so busy don't forward emails immediately but 'gather them up' into a reasonably sized 'batch' before forwarding them. I know that you're based in a fairly remote location and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't happening to you. To complicate matters even further, if the receiving email server cannot be contacted when the sending server tries to deliver the email, the sending server will try again later and the interval between attempts can be many hours.

I hope you're still enjoying your time there....

Tim

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
I have been able to track one of the issues.
Some of the emails were sent from I phones,and I believe if their time clock is off it will send an email with the incorrect time.
Any one else noticed this?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - if the email service provider chooses to stamp the email with the time allocated by the sending platform, this would explain the problem. Some service providers use the iPhone/iPad time to stamp emails while others use the local email server time.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts