What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major. Issue with lost emails - send but then disappear and never arrive

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dborn said:
Using imap account in new iPad, from the all inboxes view, selected the email i needed to respond to, hit reply, edited the emailed and hit SEND. Waited a few days and never heard back from this urgent email. I checked my SENT folder for that account and nothing, then eventually all DRAFTS and SENT messages for all accounts and there is no evidence that I sent the message at all. Where did it go? I had perfect reception, wifi full bars, so I'm at a complete loss as to where it could be. Why does iOS have no out outbox for imap accounts?

Is there another email program/app that people use on the iPad aside from actually logging into the account via Safari?

That issue could be a connectivity issue with the mail server.

I have an exchange set-up and I have an outbox. I didn't think that IMAP was too different from that. Hopefully someone can shed some more light on it.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
onlytime it should disappear from the iPad is when the iPad gets acknowledgement that the server received the message. It sounds like a server side issue.

mzadvntr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happened repeatedly to me yesterday, using outlook exchange, then via hotmail. I was sending a photo. After about ten tries, two emails went through, one with the photo and one with a reference to it.. Tried sending from my iPhone and every single one went through like clockwork. I am evaluating this iPad for use in our department and this is a huge issue. I hope it gets figured out soon!

joepalumbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same exact problem with both my ipad and even more so with my iphone. I type emails, hit send, they are not received, and they are nowhere to be found in my sent folder or draft folder. They literally disappear - vanish into thin air! I don't even feel comfortable sending email from my ipad or iphone anymore because even though it appears to have sent, often times it hasn't been sent and simply disappears. As you can imagine this is a huge concern and I'm shocked that there isn't more chat about it online. That leads me to believe that maybe there's a problem with my device(s). I'd sure love some help with this if anyone out there has some input. FYI - I am using Outlook on an iphone4 and Ipad2. Thanks a million!

joepalumbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
good idea but you still have no idea if the message actually sent or not. It's just crazy that you press the send button and the email vanishes into thin air! How in the world can you ever send an email with confidence when issues like this are present? It seems to happen most with poor 3g service. But why doesn't the email just sit in an outbox until you've acquired enough service to send the message. And why can you not recover the lost email from your sent folder? This blows my mind!

dd0217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a brand new iPad3 and just had the same issue - composed a huge email, sent it, was told it wasn't received, and it's nowhere in sent, drafts, any folders to be found. Vanished into this air! I use IMAP rather than exchange and have never had this issue with my laptop, so I I doubt it's a server issue. It clearly appears to be yet another iPad/iPhone bug . . . Not exactly what they're hyped to be!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
joepalumbo said:
good idea but you still have no idea if the message actually sent or not. It's just crazy that you press the send button and the email vanishes into thin air! How in the world can you ever send an email with confidence when issues like this are present? It seems to happen most with poor 3g service. But why doesn't the email just sit in an outbox until you've acquired enough service to send the message. And why can you not recover the lost email from your sent folder? This blows my mind!

The whole point in using BCC is that the message only comes back to me if it is sent successfully. It doesn't just transfer a copy to my inbox. It is sent to the server, and returned to me from there as part of the distribution list. I use two IMAP accounts and one Exchange, and apart from minor problems when I don't have good cell service, I always send and receive emails with no problems. If I'm not sure that an email is going to go, or a post to iPF, I copy the text to the clipboard, so that I can paste it and try again when service improves.

Mmb53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me just now.

I am in a poor 3G service area. I also have a poor wireless connection. I do not remember if both were on at that time.

I wrote an email. It was not quite long, but it had 3 attachments, totaling 3mb. I pressed the send button. My colleague called me 30 mins later to tell me that he did not receive the mail. When I checked my I pad, I could Not find the email anywhere.

I searched the forum and saw lots of posts with similar complaints.

Now, as you can imagine, this really gets me worried! I just started not carrying my laptop everywhere, but now I know that I can not rely on the iPad to send such imporant emails!

The moral of the story, do not write large emails on your iPad!!!!

louisapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am also having problems with disappearing emails but in a slightly different way. Mine are disappearing as I open the mailbox. I put several emails which I received in the 'Special' mailbox and when I came to open the box they showed for a split second and then vanished.
I have checked all the boxes in all of my accounts but no sign of them.
Any ideas please.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hotmail disappeared from new iPad

My problem is different but since it's lost e-mail, I'm using this thread too.

I have 3 e-mail accounts on my new iPad, 2 gmail and 1 hotmail. Yesterday, when I wanted to check a folder on my hotmail, there was NOTHNG left in any of the folders. When I then checked the 2 gmail accounts, all the mail was in all the folder.

I'm not using iCloud.

However when I checked hotmail on my laptop, it did show e-mai in the folders. What's going on? I have had my iPad for a few months and could always access the mail received and sent in the folders on the hotmail account on iPad.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

I am also having problems with disappearing emails but in a slightly different way. Mine are disappearing as I open the mailbox. I put several emails which I received in the 'Special' mailbox and when I came to open the box they showed for a split second and then vanished.
I have checked all the boxes in all of my accounts but no sign of them.
Any ideas please.

I have that problem too as explained in more detail in my previous post.

louisapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wildfire said:
I have that problem too as explained in more detail in my previous post.

As Mmb53 suggested, I think it might be down to a weak connection.
I am temporarily out of the UK and they are doing some alterations to the wifi connections here which is resulting in the connection flunctuating.
I had someone check my computer back in the UK and sure enough my missing emails were on it.

jmpoulsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me Saturday June 23.
On a flight i drafted a LOOONG email (MoM), and when arriving in Paris airport (CDG) my iPAD thought it had connected to a wifi, but that wifi was locked, and before I could do anything it had sent 2 emails into cyberspace and they were simply gone. Nowhere to be found. I will dispose of the iPAD and get myself a hyperbook laptop. The iPAD is a toy for couch surfing, not a serious business tool.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry you had issues. I always send a copy to myself from any mobile device and not once in 2 years and 3 iPads have I lost any emails. Furthermore I use gmail as a one stop shop for 5 accounts keeps it tidy and easy to track any emails I have issues with. The iPad is NOT a toy apart from my self I have a large number of clients whom use it daily as a work computer. Changing to a laptop will not guarantee the problem won't go away. I suggest better management of your information. I would produce a long email in an alternative app like notability which is what I use. Then copy it when you are connected to the net.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions