What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

editing video

scubajunky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI All, I like to dive and shoot mp4 video, is it possible to edit video on the ipad and can you attach an external hard drive to the ipad ? does the ipad have the power to do this ? is it really slow etc ? I just want to be able to trip, cut and paste clips really nothing major.
Is the video editing good or is it really naff ?
Hope someone can help me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI All, I like to dive and shoot mp4 video, is it possible to edit video on the ipad and can you attach an external hard drive to the ipad ? does the ipad have the power to do this ? is it really slow etc ? I just want to be able to trip, cut and paste clips really nothing major.
Is the video editing good or is it really naff ?
Hope someone can help me.
Apple's own iMovie app would work very well for what you want. The app is free for newer devices but is a paid app for older devices, unless you have a qualifying newer device.

OP
S

scubajunky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how do I get around the storage issue ? I need to read micro SD and store footage on a hard drive.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But how do I get around the storage issue ? I need to read micro SD and store footage on a hard drive.
You can import video shot with your camera by a direct USB connection to the iPad through the Camera Connection Kit or by removing the micro SD card from the camera and inserting it in the SD card reader included with the Camera Connection Kit.

You can't directly connect an external hard drive to the iPad but there are a number of WiFi capable hard drives that can be used as external storage for the iPad.

All videos being used for editing into a finished movie must be imported to the iPad for the editing process. Upon completion, the original videos and the completed movie can be stored on the external hard drive.

This Forum contains threads on portable WiFi drives for the iPad. http://www.ipadforums.net/forums/portable-wifi-drives.168/

OP
S

scubajunky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would it be a bit daft though to start from scratch and get all this equipment just to edit video or would money be better spent elsewhere ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be a bit daft though to start from scratch and get all this equipment just to edit video or would money be better spent elsewhere ?
That all depends on how important editing your own videos is to you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A more complete description of how intend to take, edit, and store the videos might help. I'm not talking about what hardware you think you need, but about what/how/where you intend to do the work, and what the final result needs to be.

And is this a one time, occasional, or ongoing need?

This would give us a better idea of what might be a useful and economic suggestion.

Also, what hardware do you have to work with already. A computer can do most of the things an extra piece of hardware would do, and and with at least 32 GB of storage can hold a fair amount of video (if you don't load it with to many other apps and files).

Most reactions

Latest posts