What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVDfab software?

Stillerfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else use this software to rip DVD to iPad? if so what are the best settings to use for resolution and size? Also the crop option? How do I make widescreen fit better on iPad ? Keep getting large black bars on top and bottom of screen and can't seem to at least reduce them. Very annoying because picture is very small on ipad Any help appreciated.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Stillerfan said:
Does anyone else use this software to rip DVD to iPad? if so what are the best settings to use for resolution and size? Also the crop option? How do I make widescreen fit better on iPad ? Keep getting large black bars on top and bottom of screen and can't seem to at least reduce them. Very annoying because picture is very small on ipad Any help appreciated.

If you cut the black bars off to make the image if on the screen, then you will either distort the image or lose part of it. Can you not just sit closer? You are seeing the picture as it was intended to be viewed.

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

DVDs are forced to a certain resolution (lower than that of the iPad), and many (older) wide-screen movies have black padding added to them in order to match the DVD specification.

crop1-300x225.jpg

The iPad has a Zoom function in its video player,

ipad3-video-zoom.jpg

but if the borders are not removed from the video during conversion, they are treated as being part of the actual video, and this prevents the iPad from making the movie full-screen.

not-cropped-300x80.jpg

If you crop these black borders from the video

top-gun-cropped-230x300.jpg

then the Zoom function will let you switch between

ipad3_normal_wide-300x225.jpg

and

ipad3_zoom_wide-300x225.jpg

You can also crop the movie to fit the iPad screen completely, but aside from removing the black borders (if they are there) you also have to cut off part of the movie sides in order to make it fit

ipad3_video_crop-300x126.jpg

which can be, due to the iPad's squarish aspect ratio, quite a bit.

More information on how to do all this automatically can be found here:

DVD Catalyst 4.1 User Guide

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice post.

I would also like to point out that when you crop a movie you risk destroying entire scenes as you have zero idea how the directed positioned the imagine within the frame. As a movie/film lover, I just hate to see this happen!

D

dvdcatalyst

Nice post.

I would also like to point out that when you crop a movie you risk destroying entire scenes as you have zero idea how the directed positioned the imagine within the frame. As a movie/film lover, I just hate to see this happen!

My biggest gripe regarding the iPad, a non-wide aspect ratio.

The Zoom feature does help, enabling you to switch back and forth, but I really hope that for the iPad Mini or the iPad 4, they would make it wide-screen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dvdcatalyst said:
My biggest gripe regarding the iPad, a non-wide aspect ratio.

The Zoom feature does help, enabling you to switch back and forth, but I really hope that for the iPad Mini or the iPad 4, they would make it wide-screen.

We have have to disagree on this point. The wide screen format makes the portrait mode less useful. If all I did was watch movies on the device, that would be fine. I do way more than that and for most of that 4:3 is better. And I only watch old stuff or non blockbuster movies on tablets. Any tablet sized screen is an inferior means for viewing content. IMO, of course.

I hope apple stays with the 4:3 screen on tablets. I could not wait for 16:9 on tvs. I wish monitor were offered in 4:3 or at least 16:10.

D

dvdcatalyst

We have have to disagree on this point. The wide screen format makes the portrait mode less useful. If all I did was watch movies on the device, that would be fine. I do way more than that and for most of that 4:3 is better. And I only watch old stuff or non blockbuster movies on tablets. Any tablet sized screen is an inferior means for viewing content. IMO, of course.

I hope apple stays with the 4:3 screen on tablets. I could not wait for 16:9 on tvs. I wish monitor were offered in 4:3 or at least 16:10.

For me, the majority of tablet use is video, web and email.

My wife and I have different tastes in movies and TV shows, so my own evenings are usually filled with a tablet of some sort (due to my work, I have several different ones) watching a movie or a few TV episodes. This is actually one of the main reasons why I ended up with my job in the first place :) It started with an iPaq PocketPC, and things have progressed ever since.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hear you. In that case, I would prefer 16:9. I should have mentioned that I own android tabs too.

Most reactions

Latest posts