What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Photograph Size

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed that when I transfer photographs to the iPad (1) they are greatly reduced in size and resolution.

Is there a way of upping photograph sizes/resolution somewhere within the iPad's settings?

I was hoping to do post-processing work using some of the awesome apps on the iPad (like Snapseed) but when I export my work the resolution its really small and I can't print at the sort of sizes I was hoping for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Derrick

OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an experiment, I just took a Jpg which is 3.45mb, put it into Dropbox, opened Dropbox on my iPad and then saved the photograph to my iPad Library.

I then emailed the photograph to myself without making any changes and the file is only 120K.

Is there any way of improving the file size?

Reaction score
The settings in Dropbox allow for full size or smaller uploads.
I've tested it by accident and found a 7 mb picture uploads 7 mb, the iPad downloads 7mb and saves 7 mb in the Dropbox app. Emailing seems to give only a thumbnail size file when saved to the iPad.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
You used to be able to tell itunes not to resize when syncing, but that option has been removed, no idea why, maybe if enough people email steve about it, he will put that option back

Work around is to upload to a webspace and then open in say safari amd then download the image, not ideal if you have lots of images, not sure if jailbreaking solves this problem

I bleed in 6 colours

Reaction score
You used to be able to tell itunes not to resize when syncing, but that option has been removed, no idea why, maybe if enough people email steve about it, he will put that option back

Work around is to upload to a webspace and then open in say safari amd then download the image, not ideal if you have lots of images, not sure if jailbreaking solves this problem

I bleed in 6 colours

Dropbox website is an excellent example of that method if you don't yet have the free app .

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As an experiment, I just took a Jpg which is 3.45mb, put it into Dropbox, opened Dropbox on my iPad and then saved the photograph to my iPad Library.

I then emailed the photograph to myself without making any changes and the file is only 120K.

Is there any way of improving the file size?

When you have the draft ready for sending hit the "cc" on the draft and you'll have the option of changing the pic size back to original size.

Last edited:
OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know about changing the Dropbox settings on the iPad app - so I changed it up to "Upload Quality" high for both Video and Photo Quality.

I then put another file (3.40 mb) into Dropbox, opened on the iPad, saved to "Photos".

When I came to email, I tried the CC trick but it only shows contacts - not image size.
Unfortunately, the app I'm using (Snapseed) only has options for email/flickr and facebook, so I can't seem to get larger files...

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when you tap "cc/bc" you don't see this:
e1ea75c4.png

OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get that option in the "Mail" App or when I try to send via the "Photos" App. I don't see that screen or option.
I'm using an iPad1 - not an iPad2 could this be why?

The iPad is definitely shrinking images within its Photo App. I placed another picture in there via Dropbox, navigated to my iPad via Windows XP, copied the image and pasted it onto my desktop and its under 200kb again.

OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is weird.
I just went it to "All Photos" as opposed to "Saved Photos" in Albums and now that size option is showing (although they still seem a lot smaller than they should be).

So do you know how I can transfer images from "Saved Photos" into Albums and how I can up the resolution from within the iPad?

Thanks for you help so far :)

OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please ignore that last post!
The problem appears to be when trying to email photos from "Saved Photos" - but when I go to "All Photos" the size is definitely larger.

Thanks!

OP
P

PaperbackWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - now I just tried the same experiment, sent a large file through Dropbox to my Dropbox App. Opened it, saved to Photos.
Opened it in the "All Photos" folder, went to email and there is no option for size.
And when I sent it, it was tiny again (120kb).

Is anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
Same here. It seems photos over certain sizes auto resize . took a smaller one and the cc/bc tip worked then tried to send a larger one cc/bc tip didn't give the option to resize and the photo showed up 340kb instead or the 2.1mb in Dropbox .
That explains why the last photos I emailed Walgreens for prints wouldn't size to 8x10 correctly.
Oh well I'll just stick to mailing from my Android phone.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Most reactions

Latest posts