What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

• You regret NOT purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Your happy with Wifi only

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Your happy with 3G

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • You regret purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't regret wifi only at all. Free hot spots are available everywhere around here ( especially true in the UK if you are with BT), and the iPad can be tethered to my husband' s HTC very easily, so I have simply no need for 3G. Now I have an iPhone with a data allowance ( my tarriff doesn't allow tethering though), I have even less need for 3G on my iPad as I don't take it out and about with me as much now.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a note. Unfortunately you can hardly buy a phone without a data plan but I do have one (actually a pretty nice LG Chocolate but older and I had data plan removed two years ago for this past contract) and will keep it until data sharing comes out later this year for Verizon. No question it is coming, just when. I, too, do not want two data plans and since I always carry the Ipad this works well for me. It may not be a solution for everyone but I prefer to do email, forum posting, anything else on the Ipad. I use the phone for the few times I actually receive and make calls--fewer and fewer. Email, messaging are how I mostly communicate. I would think its a very personal thing. When I have data sharing I'll buy an Iphone and use my data plan for both devices.

OP
G

Granitetop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,
Your reply is great period. It helped me make up my mind, you are right we don't know what the future holds and nothing is more expensive than regret, I am taking mine back to Sams tomorrow and will try to find a 4G model. I could not open your attachment it said something about approval from a moderator. The great thing about Sams though is that for $60 I got a 4 year service plan and I am very happy with their plans and providers. You have been very helpful and thank you. This is a great forum.

OP
G

Granitetop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you to all that responded, what a great, informed group of people. This is my first Apple product and when you here I Pad people talk about their products it seems magical, effortless and seamless. Again thank you so much for the enlightenment, cant wait to get the I Pad 3 with the 4G.
David

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had a feeling this would answer your question! I'm so glad you have now been able to make an informed choice for yourself, as you see we are all different in the way we use our iPad. Good luck with getting the 4g model and I hope to see you back here posting your experiences!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Although I use mostly wifi at home, when visiting friends or when available if I am traveling and now use tethered iPhone data the 3G iPad is still a back up in case I no longer want to tether.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi only and decided to buy a Huawei MiFi router. With this, I can share the Internet up to 5 devices. I use the prepaid sim.

saholz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot of "ifs" here. If you are on the road and have to frequently use you iPad away from WiFi access, then a 3G or 4G plan makes sense. If you, like me, are rarely away from WiFi availability then there's little point in spending extra for 3/4G capability in your iPad. Almost all my iPad usage is either at home, at work, at the local library, or at the homes of friends or family. In all those cases, WiFi connectivity is not an issue.

When away from home, I usually have free access at airports and hotels. The only exception to that has been a recent Caribbean trip with a long layover at the airport in Aruba. They charged for Internet access, and neither I nor any of the people I was with was willing to pay for that service.

So, for me, I am quite pleased with the WiFi only configuration. Performance is certainly adequate for Internet browsing and app downloads. Bottom line is that the decision should be based on your own usage,and not on what other people buy or don't buy.

BTW: to the OP...it's "you're" not "your."

Last edited:

lukegorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, thats why I have my Android Smartphone to wirelessly tether Internet if I'm not in reach of any other Wi-Fi resource. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that SO few cities have true LTE coverage at this point. And there're actually only 15 cities in the entire US that have LTE coverage on AT&T. And only one city they've marked "coming soon". I think it's Chicago. Not even Philadelphia, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas have LTE yet. LTE coverage is a very baby technology. It won't have anywhere near ubiquitous coverage until at least the iPad 4. So don't let the faster data speeds be your reason to buy the 4G LTE version of the iPad 3. If you have gaps in Wi-Fi hotspot availability in the places you travel during the week, that would really be your only reason for wanting to buy the 4G version, but certainly not for the LTE speed as chances are it simply doesn't exist in your area. Check the LTE map at AT&T and Verizon's website.

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Granite I understand your concern I felt in a similar way. However as you discover apps you will realize that 3G is not necessary . Apps like Downcast, Pulse, Flipboard and many others have made my iPad very enjoyable. Of course this depends on how you decide to use it. But the fact that you didn't get the 3G leads me to believe that you can just refresh at home and be ready for the day like I do. And of course you'll have hot options depending on we're you are. And if you also have a smart phone then you definitely good to go.

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ATC2 said:
Granite I understand your concern I felt in a similar way. However as you discover apps you will realize that 3G is not necessary . Apps like Downcast, Pulse, Flipboard and many others have made my iPad very enjoyable. Of course this depends on how you decide to use it. But the fact that you didn't get the 3G leads me to believe that you can just refresh at home and be ready for the day like I do. And of course you'll have hot options depending on we're you are. And if you also have a smart phone then you definitely good to go.

Oh almost forgot, check out Evernote it may come real handy for business stuff

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that SO few cities have true LTE coverage at this point. And there're actually only 15 cities in the entire US that have LTE coverage on AT&T. And only one city they've marked "coming soon". I think it's Chicago. Not even Philadelphia, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas have LTE yet. LTE coverage is a very baby technology. It won't have anywhere near ubiquitous coverage until at least the iPad 4. So don't let the faster data speeds be your reason to buy the 4G LTE version of the iPad 3. If you have gaps in Wi-Fi hotspot availability in the places you travel during the week, that would really be your only reason for wanting to buy the 4G version, but certainly not for the LTE speed as chances are it simply doesn't exist in your area. Check the LTE map at AT&T and Verizon's website.

There are dozens of LTE cities across the U.S.

Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Markets

AT&T 4G LTE - Get 4G Speed with AT&T 4G LTE & 4G HSPA+ (Click "Coverage.")

Last edited:

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the original iPad shortly after it first came out WITHOUT 3G, and just bought the new iPad 3 today again WITHOUT 3G/4G, and it is rare that I would even use it, not really enough to justify even 1 month of a service plan, even as a GIANT GPS, both of my vehicles have built in GPS screens, and I have a Tom Tom, and an EVO 3D, so, while there has been a rare occasion where I would like to have a few moments of access, it would not be worth the price.

What I really need to do is root my EVO so I can tether. What would be cool is if someone could come up with some sort of "kit" that could be used to "upgrade" and iPad to 3G, but, I suppose there are way too many logistical things that would have to be dealt with such as a SIM slot, and a different rear case too house the antennas, which the batteries are glued to, and the slightly different iOS versions to handle the 3G parts that the WiFi versions don't have, all of which probably make any type of upgrade "kit" impossible. It is a nice thought, however.

Most reactions

Latest posts