Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Granitetop, Mar 27, 2012.

?

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

1. You regret NOT purchasing 3G/4G

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Your happy with Wifi only

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Your happy with 3G

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. You regret purchasing 3G/4G

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  2. Kenstephens

Kenstephens
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In Australia the decision to go wifi only is easier because 4G doesn't work here. What caught me out was I didn't realise that no 4G meant no gps either.

As far as network access goes, outside of wifi cover tethering with my iPhone avoids another data plan and works great.

Ken

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Oklahoma is considered a backwater state, but I traveled from central to NE Oklahoma, including a bunch of long rural stretches. Other than a couple of small dead spots, I had 4G coverage the whole way. But when I got into Kansas, coverage was low quality Edge service.

My thinking:
    If you spend a lot of time on the road, go 4G
    If you keep your iPad at home or where there is wifi, you do not have to have 4G.

#33 Seadog, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. pianoman

pianoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Those are the exact links I consulted before posting. Okay I didn't check Verizon - theyre impressive but as far as AT&T goes the term "dozens" is completely inaccurate. Those maps prove my point. There are indeed "scores" of 4G non-LTE cities as in the dark blue with the AT&T maps but those are not true 4G speeds. AT&T is borrowing that term in a bit of false advertising. And those "4G" cities are no more than any of us have available to us on our phones right now that register "3G" on our screens.

My only point to the original poster was to not make speed of LTE your reason to purchase a new iPad with 4G. As it will be a long time before true LTE comes to 90% of iPad 3+4G users.

#34 pianoman, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. beesknees

beesknees
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't sure I needed it but when I did I was glad I had it. All 3 of my units have had 3/4g.

6. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    In the past I just turned it on for vacationing and long car rides. So when it came time to buy a 3 I decided to get the 4G just in case. It's also very nice in the car when wifi isn't really an option.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why you're arguing what's clearly shown in the coverage map and list. There are dozens of -- actually more than 200 -- 4G cities between AT&T and Verizon across the country.

The flavor of 4G that Apple is touting is what those carriers are providing. And lots of 4G customers are raving about their speeds, so they're clearly not getting the same 3G that they were on iPad 1 and 2, or you're saying they're all delusional and cooking up faster speeds.

8. pianoman

pianoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Surely you know that what people report is anecdotal and not an indicator of the facts. Just read the new iPad screen threads and you'll see how perception can really muck up the waters. To be honest with the thread here Verizon has about 120 cities but AT&T has only about 30 cities. Many major cities are missing on AT&T's map. The other question I would have is how far does the LTE coverage actually extend out from the city limits. When AT&T rolled out 3G originally you got full 3G speeds only within the city limits but it didn't even reach out to the closest suburbs. I wonder if anyone could report on that phenomenon here. Do any of you with the Verizon or AT&T coverage on your iPad get the LTE insignia in suburbs of the cities?

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lol, do you imagine that people are paying for 4G and getting 3G and there's not already some lawyer rounding them up for a lawsuit?

From the Verizon link alone:

As of March 15, our 4G LTE network covers more than 200 million people in 203 markets across the United States. Below is a list of current 4G LTE markets. Stay tuned for updates.

#39 Kaykaykay, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    This entire region in upstate SC is more rural than city, yet I get LTE over the 40 miles from my house to my office. But I don't know how thoroughly covered the region is, but Verizon does show the coverage on their maps. Based on what I have seen so far, I'm inclined to believe they are accurate. But I have seen speeds range from 5-20 Mbps down and up. This is a screenshot I took yesterday morning about halftway between work and home (in the parking lot of McDonalds, where I get coffee).

[​IMG]

#40 AQ_OC, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012