What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I kill my wifi antenna?

kq702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I was replacing the digitizer in an ipad and I accidentally ripped the wifi cable a bit. You can see the areas holding it with a screw got ripped off. Since it doesnt appear any wire connections got ripped, I was wondering if it would this still work ok? Looks like its only used for grounding.
DSCN0343.JPGDSCN0346.JPG

Haribo91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done the same thing, it appears that my wi-fi is still functioning but the problem is the signal appears to be very weak and I cannot get a signal upstairs anymore.

I seen there was also a rubber stick pad covering the connection which I believed should be rooted to the frame of the digitizer. I took this pad off and it increased the signal but only slightly, I opened it up again and taped a speaker cable and routed the cable to stick out the side just and no more.

Looking into the workings of a wi-fi I antenna designs on other products such as laptops the cable antenna cable is routed all the ways around the LCD inside the frame.

There was a small shiny bit on the inside of the digitizer with a plastic peel off cover on it but it does not align with the connector part on the top of the antenna. I don't know if this was just a manufacturing defect.

My next thing to try is run a very thin speak cable consisting of 2/3 strands to run all the way round the case and connect as one big loop.
Also just to drop a bit sold on the damaged grounding pads.

Most of the above is just based on theory. I work as an engineer for a repair centre of mobile devices and am faced with issues like this quite a lot.

D

Deleted member 247820

Google how to repair iPad digitizer or aerial, there are many hits.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If any metal bits got ripped, you could have done damage.

jessebarkley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same exact tears here. Wifi seems ok but I will probably replace it to be safe it's just a few dollars. But I have to order and wait grrrrrr. How did yours turnout?

Most reactions

Latest posts