DFU Mode for Dummies

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by f4780y, Apr 29, 2011.

1. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You won't be able to enter DFU mode without a working USB port. It relies on the data connection to enter DFU.

I'm pretty sure a repair will be a sizable charge, but you should probably take it to an Apple store to find out.

BEFORE you do, make sure you do the following. Whilst you don't have a warrantly, there is no harm in disgusing the jailbreak.

1. With the device charged, remove all the apps / themes / tweaks etc. which you have installed via Cydia. Make sure it looks like a normal unjailbroken device.
    2. Stick the Cydia icon away in a folder somewhere that won't be seen unless someone trawls though all your folders (A genius won't do that).
    3. Hold home and power for 30 seconds. This should place the device into recovery mode (even without a working port). You should see the "connect to iTunes" graphic on screen. Don't let go of the buttons until you see this graphic.

Return the device to the store in this state. A genius will connect it to their PC and see it is not working properly. They will then quote you for a repair, and you can choose what to do.

Oh, and IMHO, your jailbreak has nothing to do with this at all. It's just bad luck that the age and wear has eventually caused the 30 pin connector to fail. It happens on old devices. Nothing to do with the software you have installed, including the JB.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

2. ToetullNoob

ToetullNoob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, f4780y, and sorry I haven't had time to reply until now. I will try those steps this week. Two quick related questions: will I be able to reinstall paid apps without repurchasing (I bought two apps while JB'en) and how many levels of folders do you think will be sufficient to hide Cydia? And I do think you are right that my jailbreak had nothing to do with the port not working, like I said it just randomly happened, wasn't right after a new tweak or anything like that...I just hate my luck.

3. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No bother.

Purchased apps NEVER have to be re-purchased. Once you own them you own them. Jailbreaking makes no difference. If it did, it would be utterly pointless and we wouldn't do it!

And just put it in a folder and don't sweat it. No "layers" required. A genius will not and should not forensically study your springboard for any reason whatsoever. Just put it out of sight. Don't sit it next to the Setting app which is exactly what the Genius will head for! Use your common sense :)

And remember you don't have any warranty to lose in the first place. You are really just getting it out of the way so it doesn't distract the genius from their day job ;)

4. vineetpatel

vineetpatel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    A bit of a noob here. Appreciate any help.
    I have a ipad 1, which was jailbroken a long time ago, but now i want to restore it (to IOS 5.1.1 - which I presume I can use to JB again later?).
    I followed your instructions and got all the way to the end and got an itunes error (1600). Tried again, but same error.

I haven't saved shsh blobs with TU (I tried but it didn't recognize the ipad). However, the original cydia screen showed on the top "SHSH: ios 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2b3, 4,3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 5.1.1.". So i'm assuming cydia has saved these?

Any help to restore to 5.1.1 as continue to get error 1600?

Current ipad - first gen 64gb
    Current version - 3.2 (7B637)
    Model - MB294LL

Using iTunes ver 10.7
    and restoring to ios 5.1.1

Many thanks

5. KnightRaider

KnightRaider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You sir are an angel in disguise, thanks so much for your guide, really really useful :)

6. TheRambler

TheRambler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I may be wrong vineet, I've been away for a while, but unless Apple are signing an iOS then you can't downgrade to it.
    I'm hoping someone will be along to back that up for you.

7. bronny1

bronny1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi there
    I got further with your instructions than i have to date.
    My ipad2 got jammed up because i replaced the screen and wifi antennae and it was having some issues so I thought to update/restore it. It got stuck on the firmware issue. So I put in DFU mode as you say and it let me choose firmware i had downloaded, but still did not complete restore. I got the (-18) error this time and can't find out what that means.
    Its possible its because i chose the wrong firmware. I don't know what version I was running on my iPad so just went with 8.1.2, what should i have chosen? Is this the problem? If not, what do you suggest i do next?

thanks in advance!

8. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forums. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.1.2. So, may I suggest you try DFU mode again, but this time with iOS 8.1.3. It's not jailbreakable, but at least you'll have a working and up-to-date iPad.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

9. bronny1

bronny1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Marilyn,

I've just read 26 pages of a similar forum on ipadforums.net and still no good.
    I have tried 8.1.3. I've tried it with three different cables btw iPad and macbook (I can't be sure if they are genuine apple but i'm pretty sure one of them must be). Still it gets stuck at about 2/3 same with all of them (I think i'm in DFU mode as i followed the instructions, but I do have an apple logo on the screen and a progress bar stuck at 2/3, and I know somewhere it said the screen should be blank, so can you confirm if this is correct?).

In itunes, the thing it is doing when it gets stuck is "restoring iPad firmware" if that helps. It has got past talking to Apple etc. It doesn't seem to recognise my iPad other than as an iPad 2 (says serial number N/A).

When I unplug it and try again it gives me error 9, but earlier today I got a (1). Not been able to repeat that though.

I don't even know what a jail break is so i'm pretty sure i've never done that!

How I got to this point is i cracked my screen. Still worked fine but thought i'd get it replaced. They replaced screen and wifi antennae and turned it back on. Was fine other than a bit ropey in connecting to wifi, sometimes did sometimes had trouble. So I backed it up thinking that if I updated the software that might help. Then it wouldn't so I decided to restore it....

Any other suggestions? Is it hopeless?

thanks!

10. bronny1

bronny1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Some more info - i managed to replicate the (1) error, simply by leaving it for 90minutes of sitting at 2/3. This is what the screen on iTunes looked like. The iPad screen still has the apple logo and the progress bar at 2/3.

Attached Files: