What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DFU Mode for Dummies

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dclifford said:
That is true, I don't necessarily have to go back to 4.2, I just want to make sure I am able to return my ipad to the state it was in prior (jailbroken, cydia, etc). I have a limited understanding of all of this. The home button will work sometimes but usually not at all. I haven't installed anything new since this started happening so I just assumed it was a hardware problem. Is there anything I should try before restoring and taking it in, or should I just restore if I have not recently installed anything?

Well, when you restore your iPad to stock 4.3.3, why not just try and use it for a day? If there are no problems with your home button then you know it was definitely a rogue tweak... Identifying which one it was would then be your problem... Trial and error I would imagine...

As for which method is best for 4.3.3, personal choice is the answer, but if you do a clean restore to 4.3.3 as suggested above, then redsn0w will get you jail broken again very quickly and reliably. Look for the sticky in our tutorial section for guidance.

Provident

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Can I use DFU mode to Upgrade iPad 2 running firmware 4.3.1 to firmware 4.3.3 .
I'm thinking Jailbreakme.com but is that only for firmware 4.3.3 ?
Thanks

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thread! I'm actually just aware that I came across this sometime ago. I googled "How to get your iPad in DFU mode" for my friend, and came across this, and it really helped him!

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone clarify.... I believe I'm in DFU mode and I'm attempting a restore. Screen is black and I don't have any logos / icons on screen. But once the process gets to 'restoring iPad software...' the screen goes white for a second and then the Apple logo and progress bar appear.

Is this still in DFU mode or has the device jumped out of DFU?

I'm trying to undersrtand why I can't seem to restore my iPad (update to 4.3.5 crashed and foreced a restore and now restore hangs at approx 20% progress)... I had assumed that going into DFU mode would resolve this as stated above it by-passes the iOS.

Any help is appreciated as I simply want my iPad to work again.

iPad 1, 64GB, 3GS WiFi.

Thanks

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone clarify.... I believe I'm in DFU mode and I'm attempting a restore. Screen is black and I don't have any logos / icons on screen. But once the process gets to 'restoring iPad software...' the screen goes white for a second and then the Apple logo and progress bar appear.

I'm trying to undersrtand why I can't seem to restore my iPad (update to 4.3.5 crashed and foreced a restore and now restore hangs at approx 20% progress)... I had assumed that going into DFU mode would resolve this as stated above it by-passes the iOS.

iPad 1, 64GB, 3GS WiFi.

Thanks

Yes, that is DFU mode. I'll post some thoughts in your other thread...

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iPad 1, 64GB, 3GS WiFi.

Thanks

Yes, that is DFU mode. I'll post some thoughts in your other thread...

Thanks. Good to know I'm doing it right and getting it into DFU mode.

msdemarchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DFU saved my life!!!!!!!

Hey darksun,
I was in the apple loop (restarting, restarting... on and on.) That was after I installed Frash on 4.3.3 and it didn't work. So I thought i would uninstall it. After I did (and after the warning, which I ignored) almost nothing worked. Even safari wouldn't open. I tried rebooting and it went to the apple loop mode in which it reboots every 5 seconds. Actually what saved me was the DFU mode. I followed fatboy's steps and... VOILA! a clean 4.3.5 instalation. Now I will jailbrake my paperweight again.:D

I'm posting it here because I believe it's relevant. Can anyone help me?

sandeepbodkhe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I cant live without jailbreak !:(
I did update to 4.3.5 yesterday and was unaware about
jailbreak unavailability to 4.3.5
i have jailbreak my ipad from cydia when it was new (4.3.3).
thinking that cydia must hve stored my SHSH i
1)entered into DFU MODE successfully as windows detected when i
connected via usb cable
2)then i started TSS server in tinyumbrella.
3) Then i opened itunes and it said ipad is in recovery mode and needs to be factory rstored.. But during restoring, it is checking with apple software update server and trying to download and update 4.3.5 only while i want 4.3.3 which i could jailbreak again..
any idea what could be wrong and how to get id of that ?
Thanks in advance

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I cant live without jailbreak !:(
I did update to 4.3.5 yesterday and was unaware about
jailbreak unavailability to 4.3.5
i have jailbreak my ipad from cydia when it was new (4.3.3).
thinking that cydia must hve stored my SHSH i
1)entered into DFU MODE successfully as windows detected when i
connected via usb cable
2)then i started TSS server in tinyumbrella.
3) Then i opened itunes and it said ipad is in recovery mode and needs to be factory rstored.. But during restoring, it is checking with apple software update server and trying to download and update 4.3.5 only while i want 4.3.3 which i could jailbreak again..
any idea what could be wrong and how to get id of that ?
Thanks in advance

It does not sound as though you are using TU properly. It is not simply a question of pressing the button. You must make sure you blobs are saved locally.

If you follow this tutorial EXACTLY as written, you will get your blobs for 4.3.3 from Cydia and then use them to restore properly - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

Madewomen2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It actually was some very good detailed advice/instruction.. i just did not comment on it right away becaue im still downloading the file from the link he helped me with im pretty sure its gonna work just waiting to open the file ...:)

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a quick question.... if one gets the iPad into DFU mode (let's say just practicing doing it), how does one get the iPad out of DFU mode if one doesn't want to actually do anything with it at the time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in that kind of predicament (thankfully), it was just a scenario that jumped into my cluttered little mind.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a quick question.... if one gets the iPad into DFU mode (let's say just practicing doing it), how does one get the iPad out of DFU mode if one doesn't want to actually do anything with it at the time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in that kind of predicament (thankfully), it was just a scenario that jumped into my cluttered little mind.

Just unplug the iPad and perform a hard reset as normal. Hold home and power for 10 seconds. Let go of both, then press power.

cocoland00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 1 id dead please help it wont restore

I need some help here, I'm already so pissed with this ipad, I'd had tried everything to restore this crap and every single attend ended with this stupid error: The iPad ïPad"could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604) and all the time tried give a different number.
Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fernando

Most reactions

Latest posts