What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting 1/4 page popups

gpete143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a problem with 1/4 page pop up pages opening while I read articles either in mail or Safari. I can't get rid of them and I lose my history bar at the top of Safari. All I want to do is shut off whatever is opening the new 1/4 page windows. I'm using IOS 15. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am having a problem with 1/4 page pop up pages opening while I read articles either in mail or Safari. I can't get rid of them and I lose my history bar at the top of Safari. All I want to do is shut off whatever is opening the new 1/4 page windows. I'm using IOS 15. Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Not sure that I can help much with the information given. First, if you know how to take a screen capture from Mail & Safari, then post in your thread; if not, then can you describe the 'pop-ups', e.g. is the information ad-related or otherwise and are the pop-ups the same in each app? Second, for starters, you can go into Settings > Safari and see if the toggle for 'Block Pop-ups' is on. Dave

OP
G

gpete143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a screen shot. Somehow when on a page I swipe in a certain way tha brings up the new side tab. I can't get rid of them and want to turn off what brings them in.
Thank you for your interest. IOS 15.7

Attachments

• E80468C1-2EB0-4562-9973-B31B35CFBC91.png
    E80468C1-2EB0-4562-9973-B31B35CFBC91.png
    808.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
G

gpete143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Block popups is on. It's not just ads as in YouTube today, I got a whole new page. I can go from mail to a Safari page and the side tab remains the same.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is a screen shot. Somehow when on a page I swipe in a certain way tha brings up the new side tab. I can't get rid of them and want to turn off what brings them in.
Thank you for your interest. IOS 15.7
You have invoked Slide Over. If you tap on the three dots at the top of the screen you will have the options to switch back to full screen or Split View.

OP
G

gpete143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have invoked Slide Over. If you tap on the three dots at the top of the screen you will have the options to switch back to full screen or Split View.
Yes, but when I do that the new screen becomes the new full screen. Meanwhile I have lost my history bar at the top of the Safari page. And worse if I click on a story it goes to the tab page. It's extremely irritating!
If I push the three dots on the master page nothing happens on full and I'm left with 1/4 and 1/2
I want to delete the slide over. I want it gone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you upgrade to iPadOS the three dot menu will also let you close the slide over (or other apps)..

In the mean time, if you just swipe the three dots to the right it will move off screen. Swiping from the edge of the slide over also works. Swiping in from the right edge of the screen brings the slide-over back.

To get rid of any or all apps that are currently in slide over mode, swipe up from the bottom edge of the slide over. This will show you all the current apps in slide over. Just swipe each one up off the screen to close them.

Slide over is actually pretty useful. Say you've got something you want to keep an eye on, but not have to open and close your main app over and over. Like keeping an eye on an ongoing Message conversation, or Twitter. You place that app in slide over and you can just swipe in it in and out of view as needed, without closing what you are currently doing.

It is super handy when taking notes while in Safari. You can copy and drag stuff into the note, then swipe it back out of view so you can keep reading in full screen mode.

OP
G

gpete143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you upgrade to iPadOS the three dot menu will also let you close the slide over (or other apps)..

In the mean time, if you just swipe the three dots to the right it will move off screen. Swiping from the edge of the slide over also works. Swiping in from the right edge of the screen brings the slide-over back.

To get rid of any or all apps that are currently in slide over mode, swipe up from the bottom edge of the slide over. This will show you all the current apps in slide over. Just swipe each one up off the screen to close them.

Slide over is actually pretty useful. Say you've got something you want to keep an eye on, but not have to open and close your main app over and over. Like keeping an eye on an ongoing Message conversation, or Twitter. You place that app in slide over and you can just swipe in it in and out of view as needed, without closing what you are currently doing.

It is super handy when taking notes while in Safari. You can copy and drag stuff into the note, then swipe it back out of view so you can keep reading in full screen mode.
Excellent, thanks so much!

Most reactions

Latest posts