What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DAW or all-in-one app fro playing midi files

bloodline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm hoping somebody might help me. I'm thinking of getting back into music again after a long break and rather than go the laptop or keyboard route would like to be able to do it all from an ipad. I've look around the web and theres lots of good apps out there, garageband and cubasis spring to mind, but with all of them as far as I can see theres one thing missing, the ability to import and play midi files.

The reason I ask is that I have a lot of midi files from when I used to make music and play live, a lot of them are also in the GM/XG format. What I'd like to be able to do is load in a midi file, the app would assign a sound to each track thus enabling me to edit/play back the song.

I know you can do it with desktop DAWS like studio one 2, Mixcraft and Cubase but not sure if you can do it on the ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, personally, like and use the app "Music Studio." It allows you to import and load MIDI files so you can play around with them. I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for - but I know it's the one I first thought of. :)

It comes in two versions. The Lite, which is free and so let's you decide if it's the app for you: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-studio-lite/id378356692?mt=8

Then, there's the Pro version which is $14.99 (USD): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-studio/id328608539?mt=8

The Pro version does more, obviously, plus you can get more instruments. I have the Pro, so if you get the Lite to try and want to know if the Pro does something the Lite doesn't, ask away.

Hopefully, this'll help. Good luck in your search.

Marilyn

OP
B

bloodline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that app, it looks quite good. Out of interest have you ever tried loading in a GM midi file into it and if so how did it playback?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that app, it looks quite good. Out of interest have you ever tried loading in a GM midi file into it and if so how did it playback?

Okay, I'm not too sure I downloaded the right file, but here goes.

I went to a website that stated his files all use "General MIDI format" and downloaded a file called dueling2.mid. I used the "open in" function to put it into the Music Studio app. In the app's Projects tab, I loaded it and then went to the Keyboard tab to play it.

It plays fine (it's the dueling banjo song) and here's a shot of the tracks tab:

ta4uqe2y.jpg

There's a lot of things you can do here: mute a specific track, mute all but one track, change instruments and probably plenty more stuff of which I have no clue. :)

Does that answer what you asked? If no, let me know and I'll try again.

Marilyn

OP
B

bloodline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your a star for doing that for me, were all the instruments automatically assigned to the correct tracks?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your a star for doing that for me, were all the instruments automatically assigned to the correct tracks?

I didn't do anything to this MIDI file except load it into the app and then press the Tracks tab (at the top). This is how it appeared.

So, I guess your answer is yes. :)

Marilyn

OP
B

bloodline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well as soon as I get my ipad (Birthday this weekend hint hint) Music Studio is currently top of the list. I've posted on the Steinberg forum asking the same question about Cubasis, but unlike the lovely people on here who were quick to reply, nobody has yet answered my question. Thanks again for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! I know you're going to like it (the app AND the iPad).

If I may suggest, if you do decide to get the Music Studio app - download the PDF manual, also. The current version of Music Studio is version 2.4 and you can get the PDF here: http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/downloads/Music_Studio_v2_4_User_Manual.pdf

It's really helped me, that manual, so hopefully it'll help you. Good luck and have fun with that new (to be) iPad! :)

Marilyn

OP
B

bloodline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess what I got for my Birthday :) . All I can say is WOW what a piece of kit the iPad mini is and I took your recommendation and bought Music Studio, together with the full version of Garageband and Audiobus. I just can't believe that you can do so much now on just a tablet, it doesn't seem that long ago when I was making music that you need a tonne of gear and a large wad of cash to be able to do what I can do today.

Let the fun begin.

Most reactions

Latest posts