What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dad's new ipad collecting dust. His old netbook is still his favorite.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is up to the app. Http file transfer is not a system feature, but something that the developer does in that app. Mostly it's just an icon or option in a menu or screen. When tapped/selected it shows you the IP address you need to use in the computer's browser. That's it.

Here is a screen shot of how it works in OPlayer; the only one of the mentioned apps that I own.

image.jpg

Notice the two other options, ftp and Bonjour. The first requires a bit more know how to use. The second is mostly for Mac users, though it is possible to install Bonjour on a Windows machine. Actually, if you let it an iTunes installation will install Bonjour as well.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what app is that? i dont know what you are looking at.
is that oplayer? sorry, i am trying to reset everything on the ipad so i can use it with the itunes i just installed in my laptop.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And here is how it looks when I enter the address in the URL bar of my browser on the computer (Safari on an iMac in this case).

OPlayer__WIFI_Transfer_.jpg

I don't actually have any files in OPlayer at the moment, so it looks a bit bare bones.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
what app is that? i dont know what you are looking at.
is that oplayer? sorry, i am trying to reset everything on the ipad so i can use it with the itunes i just installed in my laptop.

Yes. OPlayer. The other two apps should offer something similar, though I have no idea where they will hide/show the feature.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i got the oplayer to show my http address, but i type that in chrome, and nothing shows up.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ah nevermind. my laptop was on wire connection, and somehow it didnt work.
i switched my laptop to wifi and the address works.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh it is really slow uploading... im uploading a 152mb mp4 file. i would estimate the speed to be about 500kb per sec.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why do i have to use wifi to transfer files when my ipad is already hooked directly to my computer using USB? aren't there any apps that take advantage of the USB connection?

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok got it. the wifi works fine and the mp4 file has both video and sound and it works great. thanks.
in itunes, there's a way to transfer files using the oplayer app and it uses itunes to sync transfer files too! so i was able to transfer a mkv video file of 700mb size in under 10 seconds!
but the mkv file has no sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
why do i have to use wifi to transfer files when my ipad is already hooked directly to my computer using USB? aren't there any apps that take advantage of the USB connection?

A few, but they generally require a companion app on the computer. GoodReader has one, or at least it did last time I checked. But it won't handle the all the video codecs that OPlayer will.

Some apps can use iTunes on the computer to transfer files (not sync). To do this you plug the iPad into the computer, open iTunes, select the iPad, then go to the App tab. At the bottom of the App view there is a File Sharing section where you can copy files from/to apps that have it enabled.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It is clumsy, and most people don't like to use iTunes so I often forget to mention it. Once upon a time, though, it was about the only way to get large files to/from apps.

I'm not sure OPlayer has this option. I'll check and get back to you.

OP
archerdavid86

archerdavid86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
o player has it. it's great. it was so much faster than using wifi.
now, i'm struggling to get sound on my mkv file, and it has some problems with AC3 killer or DTS killer or whatever. srt subtitle files work great too. i just don't have any sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OPlayer does show up in the File Sharing feature of iTunes. So it should work. How well it will work for you I don't know.

If you don't already use iTunes, it's probably going to be more trouble than you're prepared to deal with. I have little trouble with iTunes, but I've been using it for years. People new to it tend to find it rather byzantine. And they've some justification for that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
o player has it. it's great. it was so much faster than using wifi.
now, i'm struggling to get sound on my mkv file, and it has some problems with AC3 killer or DTS killer or whatever.

Cool. That's about as far as I can help you. While I have the app I don't use it often, and certainly not to the extent you're likely to do so. My knowledge of the different codecs doesn't go much further than the fact that they exist.

Good luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should remind you about the other apps. They get recommended a lot, and by people who are into video far deeper than I am. The same file transfer features should be available in them as well.

Again, good luck.

Most reactions