Dad's new ipad collecting dust. His old netbook is still his favorite.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by archerdavid86, Jun 29, 2014.

1. archerdavid86

archerdavid86
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought him an ipad without thinking because I thought he would love it.
    He never uses it. I think it's because he can't download Korean TV shows into the ipad.
    He knows how to download and put TV shows into his netbook, but he doesn't know how to work itunes and converting the videos and all that.
    Is there an easy way to hack or modify the ipad OS or app that lets him easily download videos into his ipad? Or even if he downloads it into his desktop computer, and then move it via USB and use the ipad simply like a storage for playing videos?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Crunchyroll.com offers a fair selection of Korean drama (and lots of anime).

There is an app for the iPad. You can watch with commercials, or pay for commercial free access for about $7 a month.

I can't help with the downloading and porting of shows to the iPad, but there are other members that do this. Hopefully one of them will wander by.

3. archerdavid86

archerdavid86
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i was wondering more specifically if there's a way to move avi or wmv mpg files into ipad and watch it. an EASY way!

4. archerdavid86

archerdavid86
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    damn this ipad really sucks.... my dad was really happy to receive it after seeing a lot of his friends use it for youtube and wahtever.. shame

5. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You may be able to use the wire fire hot spot USB adapters take a look at our sub forum iPad connect

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Well, not every device is best for every task. Watching Korean TV is a bit specialized, at least in the U.S.

On the other hand, I just did a search of the App Store for "Korean TV" and got 21 one hits. At least one of those should be of interest to your dad. Unless he has a slow or limited data internet connection, a streaming service is likely to be a much easier solution than any convert and transfer method.

That said, I know at least one person who regularly converts Korean TV episodes for use on the iPad. It sounded a bit complicated to me, but I'll ask for a breakdown, probably tomorrow. If it sounds doable for your dad I'll pass it along.

#6 twerppoet, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. produc3rboy

produc3rboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Looks like my Korean TV expert took the day off, and I won't be able to ask again until next week. You can blame the World Cup.

9. archerdavid86

archerdavid86
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    what i'm focused on is not korean TV, but generally any type of video files that aren't compatible natively on the ipad. i think i've mislead everyone into thinking i was only talking about korean tv shows.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    In that case you'll want to look at the apps VLC, AVPlayer, and OPlayer. These apps can play most video formats; more than what Apple supports natively.

I use OPlayer, mostly because it was the first good audio/video playback app I found, and I've had no reason to look further; because I don't need it often.