What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st generation IPad FREEZING

gdriussi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi -- my dad has one of the original IPads, i.e., not an IPad2, it's begun freezing: he'll use the browser, find the page he wants, fiddle w/the magnification a few times, then it'll freeze, then throw him back to his desktop, browser shut down; this also happens when he's using the IPad to read an ebook, so it isn't just a Safari issue. He's tried "restarting." i've tried to walk him through restoring it to factory setting, because that's what i figure he'll have to do, but he, for some reason, DOESN'T WANT TO. i think, because he didn't set it up to begin w/(my sister in law got it for him and set it up, so he's assuming it's a lot more involved than it is, i think), so i told him i could post to a forum and see if anyone had any suggestions OTHER than restoring. does anyone have any experience w/this happening? it just started, out of the blue, doing this. he's had it about a year..... i appreciate any ideas!

thank you!
g

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time for a reboot....

Switch the iPad off.

Now hold down the Power and Home button together for a while - 8-9 seconds - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot and all will be OK again. No need to restore.

The reboot doesn't delete any apps or user data - it's nothing more than a reboot that you've done a hundred times on your PC or Mac.

Tim

OP
G

gdriussi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'll try!

thank you! i think we tried to reboot, but i'm not sure we did it exactly in this way - i'm not sure that we powered it down first, then held the two keys down, so i'm hopeful - thanks again!
g

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes - it's always helpful to other Members if they can see a problem solved.

Have a great day.

Tim

Holmes Alex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken HP has scrapped the touchpad so getting support and apps for it may be difficult. I would wait for the others you mentioned to come out. Edit by Moderator - no links to commercial sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

gdriussi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update

okay - it looked like the reboot worked... though, to hear how he did it, i'm not positive that he followed the instructions exactly. .. now he's having trouble accessing his latest ebook. he's using Kindle, and accidentally archived the book he's reading, and now can't find it! i'll search the forum for info. he gets his ebooks from Amazon; i get mine from B&N. i know on the B&N website, all of your purchases are stored in your "library", but i don't think Amazon offers such a feature.... this isn't as big a problem as the original one, but you'll probably hear from me again if we can't fix it. THANK YOU for your help!

re: the OS update, does he just do that by plugging it into itunes?

thanks again!
g

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gdriussi said:
okay - it looked like the reboot worked... though, to hear how he did it, i'm not positive that he followed the instructions exactly. .. now he's having trouble accessing his latest ebook. he's using Kindle, and accidentally archived the book he's reading, and now can't find it! i'll search the forum for info. he gets his ebooks from Amazon; i get mine from B&N. i know on the B&N website, all of your purchases are stored in your "library", but i don't think Amazon offers such a feature.... this isn't as big a problem as the original one, but you'll probably hear from me again if we can't fix it. THANK YOU for your help!

thanks again!
g

Yes. As soon as iTunes opens it will ask you to download and install update.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

thanks again!
g

One of the buttons within the Kindle app is to access the Amazon library (may even be called Archived). Pressing on it will bring up all the books purchased from Amazon so you can browse and find the book.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thanks again!
g

With the Kindle app, you can keep all your books in your library (meaning on your device, provided it has enough space), or you can delete a book from your device and send it to your archive. From your archive, you can redownload any book you've ever purchased (the ones not currently in your library, meaning already on your device).

All he has to do if he's accidentally archived a book is redownload it while he has some kind of online access. The archived books are sortable via title or author, in alphabetical order. Everything is scrollable.

The Kindle books in your library (meaning your device) are sortable via title, author or recent (last read first in the list). Everything is scrollable.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts