What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia apps quit

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm running cydia on 3.2.1 (I think as i haven't ever upgraded). Anyway I've installed the safari torrent downloader plugin and I can download torrents no problem I've found that the apps that I've installed won't launch. When I click on them (xyflash) for example, the screen goes black as if it's about to launch but quits straight out again. Thisvhas happened with a few apps. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Dumb question. But are you using the torrent downloaded to get your apps and then install them. Or do you install from Cydia directly? Somehow I get the impression you use the torrent downloaded to get new apps, in which case I can't help you any further.

Anyhow, do all apps crash? Has it only happened after installing the torrent downloaded? Which other apps have you installed shortly before the issue first arose?

OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, no I download my apps directly from cydia. I've hardly downloaded any, maybe 5 in total. I'll try a few more and see if they crash. I can't remember the first time it happened but I think it's after I downloaded another torrent app (ages ago) which was the last time I touched cydia. Thanks for any help.

OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is driving towards it's own extinction.

Dave3lions, the apps that are crashing, have you purchased them? Or do they come from other sources? Because we can only offer guidance for the first case.

Ok so I may sound a little naive here as I'm not up to speed with the "scene"' but the apps I'm having trouble with right now are yxflash and mplayer. As far as I'm aware they are not hacked or cracked or illegal in any way, but I did download them from cydia.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...the apps I'm having trouble with right now are yxflash and mplayer. As far as I'm aware they are not hacked or cracked or illegal in any way, but I did download them from cydia.
Thanks.

From what I can see, neither of these apps have been updated in a very long time (Oct 2009 for mplayer), so I doubt very much you will get them working unless you contact the developers. There are links on Cydia within each package for that. I certainly doubt they will run of 4.x firmware, so I won't be able to even try them out for you. Sorry.

It really is getting to that stage where you should be seriously looking into the upgrade to 4.3.x...

Hope that helps.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Since the iPad is still running 3.2.1 shouldn't it be much of a problem, that the apps haven't been updated to work with iOS 4. Just sayin'

No, but it does become very difficult to support, and sometimes old stuff like this relies on components which do get upgraded in Cydia. I agree stuff shouldn't just stop working, but it's likely to be something else which has changed, and will be hard to track down and fix. the only way might be a restore and reinstall, and for 3.x that in itself will be a challenge.
Nothing more annoying than when your stuff just stops working though...

OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first went in to cydia after a long break from it Asked me to install 3 essential upgrades which I did. Sorry just remembered that. Anyway, you guys think I should upgrade my fw to 4.something? Sorry for the noob in me but which is best? I take it I don't do this through iTunes.

Craigatcsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have quite a few apps thru the iTumes. Our IT GUy at work did the Jailbreak on my iPad today and now none of my downloaded apps from the Apps store work they do the same as described above. He did install the Cydia. ny ideas what is going on?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Craigatcsi said:
I have quite a few apps thru the iTumes. Our IT GUy at work did the Jailbreak on my iPad today and now none of my downloaded apps from the Apps store work they do the same as described above. He did install the Cydia. ny ideas what is going on?

Have tried rebooting the ipad?

dave3lions said:
When I first went in to cydia after a long break from it Asked me to install 3 essential upgrades which I did. Sorry just remembered that. Anyway, you guys think I should upgrade my fw to 4.something? Sorry for the noob in me but which is best? I take it I don't do this through iTunes.

Pkgbackup, save to dropbox then upgrade to official 4.3.2 then jb

Most reactions

Latest posts