What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia stopped working

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to run pkgbackup today and noticed it wouldn't open. It flashes for a second and then closes itself. Also noticed now that cydia itself is also doing the same thing...opens for a second and then closes. It seems to no longer be working. I've tried re-booting...and cydia still will not open.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there anything i can do, or do i need to restore?

If i restore, is there anyway i can get the cydia apps back? I backed up with pkgbackup a few days ago, but now it wont open.

I've dowloaded quite a few and cant really remember them all. Is there a way to list what i've downloaded from cydia?

Thanks for the help.
Anthony

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What device, IOS version, and jailbreak are you using? Details help!
It sounds like you are a tethered jailbreak which has not been properly booted.
Have you tried a reboot though? Rebooting the iPad often helps...

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry....i need to add the details to my signature.

Its an ipad2 on 4.3.3, jailbroken with jme3.0

Its been working fine for a couple of weeks...until today.

I've re-booted several times by holding the top power button for 3 seconds. Is there another re-boot i should try?

Thank you for the help.

Anthony

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
press sleep(top) and home(circle), 10 secs...

when you get things rolling again, get powerup.

and use activator to command a few hard button commands.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like a permissions error. Have you been messing about with iFile at all?
What did you install recently from Cydia?
Did you mess about with anything via SSH from your PC? Do you have OpenSSH installed?
Sorry for the Q's, just trying to get to the bottom of things...

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes actually...i was messing around with ifile. I noticed the "other" category of my spced used has grown to over 5gb and i was trying to see what files or apps were causing it. I deleted some apps from ifile....but in doing so, my overall available space hasn't changed at all. Something definitely seems wrong. Im down to 6gb left on the ipad....and i have very little music and no video loaded at all. The "other" category is over 5 gb!

I dont think i have openSSH installed or messed around with it....at least purposely. Not sure what it is....so i'm guessing i dont.

I havent installed anything from cydia in the paste few day....when all was working well.

Have i done something i wrong?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it does sound like you deleted something you shouldn't have or on the way changed the permissions on a folder / tree, so either all the apps can't write something or somewhere, or they can't find something they expect.
IMHO trying to manage space with iFile if you are not intimately familiar ios or with a Linux / Unix OS is a potential minefield. It's going to be hard to work out what you may have done...
Sorry. I'd consider a restore if I were you.

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my 4.3.3 shsh saved, so i should be able to restore and re-jailbreak, right?

is there a way to find out what cydia apps i've downloaded....specifically the ones that load in the background that do not create an icon (i.e. Retinapad)

I've backed up with pkgbackup a few days Ago, but didnt use dropbox, so im guessing it saved the backup on the ipad itself. Is there a way to restore everything from it....even though i've deleted the app now?

The cause of this all was Me trying to find out what the "other" usage category was. Its over 5gb already and im running out of space. What exactly is that and can i clear that out? I read somewhere that those are the cydia apps loaded.....eveN so, it seems way too high. The ipad is only 2 weeks old. Is there way to re-capture this space?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have my 4.3.3 shsh saved, so i should be able to restore and re-jailbreak, right?

Yep. Your best bet is to restore the iPad (which will cause it to load iOS 4.3.4). Then, use this sticky (http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...815-how-downgrade-your-ipad-ios-firmware.html) to downgrade to 4.3.3; since you have your 4.3.3 SHSH blobs.

is there a way to find out what cydia apps i've downloaded....specifically the ones that load in the background that do not create an icon (i.e. Retinapad)

Not if you didn't save a list, because once you un-jailbreak them, they'll be gone - Cydia won't be able to tell you what you had. I keep an Excel list on my PC so I can keep track of what I have on the iPad (and what I've tried and removed).

Once you've re-jailbroken the iPad and installed some tweaks, they'll show on Cydia in the Installed tab. But that's once you've put them back on...

I've backed up with pkgbackup a few days Ago, but didnt use dropbox, so im guessing it saved the backup on the ipad itself. Is there a way to restore everything from it....even though i've deleted the app now?

PKGBackup saves to either Contacts or to Dropbox. If you've done a backup to iTunes since you created the PKGBackup file, it should be in that backup. Once you've restored your iPad, select the restore from a backup option (before jail breaking it). That'll put all your App Store/iTunes stuff back on the iPad - to include that PKGBackup file.

Then, after jail breaking, the first thing you do is go to Cydia and install PKGBackup (it won't cost you again). Run the restore from that and it'll bring down all your Cydia tweaks.

The cause of this all was Me trying to find out what the "other" usage category was. Its over 5gb already and im running out of space. What exactly is that and can i clear that out? I read somewhere that those are the cydia apps loaded.....eveN so, it seems way too high. The ipad is only 2 weeks old. Is there way to re-capture this space?

The good news is that most, if not all, of this Other space will shrink because of the restore. A lot of the Other is just stuff iTunes doesn't recognize, true. But I am not sure it's the apps from Cydia, as my other is not large and I have several tweaks on the iPad. Normally, it's just stuff that other apps have, such as documents in Goodreader...

IOW, no one really has figured out what exactly is Other, or how to get rid of it. One thing I'm sure you've learned is: Don't try to take it out of the iPad using iFile!

Mucking about in iFile is always best done with extreme caution - as you well know now. :eek:

Hope some of this helps.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What operating system computer do you have?
Check your contacts list on pc and see if you have a contact named pkgbackup, or even on your iPad right now.

Did you log in on cydia?

Last edited:
OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check your contacts list on pc and see if you have a contact named pkgbackup, or even on your iPad right now.

Did you log in on cydia?

I have a Windows Vista PC.

I have a pkg_d..... File in my ipad contacts. Is that helpful?

Im not sure what you mean by "log in on cydia". I cant currently access cydia

I dont mind restoring if that is the best option. It sounds like it might clear out the "other" space and it would be a good learning experience. I just dont want to mess up my jailbreak.

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Did you log in on cydia?

I have a Windows Vista PC.

I have a pkg_d..... File in my ipad contacts. Is that helpful?

Im not sure what you mean by "log in on cydia". I cant currently access cydia

I dont mind restoring if that is the best option. It sounds like it might clear out the "other" space and it would be a good learning experience. I just dont want to mess up my jailbreak.

I have a Mac and wanna see how I could've assisted with that.

Email that file to yourself, just for safety, it will help if you completely loses it.

Don't worry about the cydia log in issue, since you don't know, but it kinda works like app store, remembers what you got(kinda).

You will have to restore.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just how you found it under contacts, on iPad , select it and you will see share at the bottom, scroll down.

Last edited:
OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...I fully restored back to 4.3.3 and re-jailbroke. everything seems to be working fine.

Thank you to everyone for all your help.

Why is my "total" capacity of a 16gb iPad now only 13.5Gb? When I first got the iPad, the total capacity was 14gb. Somewhere I've lost another 0.5gb.

why does this happen and Is there anything I can do to get this back?

Most reactions

Latest posts