What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy Files from SD Card to NAS - One Solution

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a very common task for photographers and, because I seldom fire up my computer these days, I have been looking for a way to do this with the iPad. I have finally found a convenient way to do it.

I have a Western Digital NAS (MWBE) which has a USB port and has an option to expose the embedded Linux shell.

I plug the SD card into a mini SD card reader and plug that in the USB port on the NAS.

I use iSSH to establish a shell session with the NAS on the iPad and copy the files from the SD card to a destination directory. I like to copy jpg and raw (cr2) files to separate subdirectories so that adds a few extra steps.

To save typing (and typos :)), I use a Numbers spreadsheet to construct the necessary Linux commands. It is a simple matter to copy them from Numbers and paste them into iSSH. I could use the vi editor on the NAS to create a script but I think that copy/paste from Numbers is actually easier.

I thought that other photographers might be interested.

This is a typical sequence of commands (copied from Numbers):-

mkdir /DataVolume/Download/Photos/20110426_Test
mkdir /DataVolume/Download/Photos/20110426_Test/jpg
mkdir /DataVolume/Download/Photos/20110426_Test/raw
cp /shares/usb1-1share1/dcim/102canon/*.jpg /DataVolume/Download/Photos/20110426_Test/jpg
cp /shares/usb1-1share1/dcim/102canon/*.cr2 /DataVolume/Download/Photos/20110426_Test/raw

Most reactions

Latest posts