What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert Your Videos - Idiot Proof (Windows)

davies375

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What data rate do you use and how do you change this? I literally followed the guide and put everything on default.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davies375 said:
What data rate do you use and how do you change this? I literally followed the guide and put everything on default.

Depends on your software you are using, but usually there will be a box or dropdown box that will let you change the default settings

As for data rate, depends on the movie, fast action movies will require a higher rate, as there will be more stuff happening onscreen

I just watch the dvds straight from a dvd player, can't be bothered ripping them anymore :) but i find 2000-2500 usually gives a good enough quality rip without creating a huge file

Last edited:

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davies375 said:
Is that where you change the bitrate? Is that 2500kb/s?

Yep, after a few rips, you'll start to get a rough idea of what bitrate to use for what kind of movie

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davies375 said:
Why would the data rate be stuck on 1555?

Is the software your using shareware? I.e. It needs to be purchased, as sometimes the shareware software limit the function of the software until you buy it

If it is one of the free ones then no idea, what software is it?

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davies375 said:
Format Factory

Never used it, but looking at the site for it, under the dvd to video file screen, click on output setting and you should be able to change the settings there

ScottZeagle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I did exactly what you said, but my movie ended up twice as long. Instead of a 1:30 minute avi file, I now have a 3 hour mp4 movie...after the credits roll the first time, it just starts again!?

Any thoughts?

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is the best. I use the Universal preset and it looks great.

It's free.
_________

shane01101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I have a DVD and want to get the videos on my computer which program would u suggest? I currently use DVD Shrink and DVD Fab to burn copies of my DVD's with as an .iso file. Id like to transfer video from dvd to HD so I can use format factory. I checked out that danuisoft and its 19.99 to buy and im looking for a free program.

Last edited:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH for this guide. I have two .avi videos I want on my iPad, and will obtain more, so I truly appreciate your easy instructions. Hope I can do it easily!

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying this out right now. It didn't go exactly as you said, a few steps were in reverse order for me, but hopefully it works!

EDIT: I watched a movie on my iPad last night that I converted with Format Factory with your method, and it was perfect!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts