Convert Your Videos - Idiot Proof (Windows)

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by NumbLock, May 23, 2010.

1. robertlc

robertlc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I used the new Format Factory iPad setting and also found it wouldn't play on my iPad.

I changed the output setting to "default" for the aspect/size and to 2400 for the bitrate.

These changes made the videos playable on my iPad and they look great!

2. daltonbaker

daltonbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use handbrake with the appleTV preset and have no problems.

3. Luvntravln

Luvntravln
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mate, thanks for all of the info sharing;

HOWEVER

What am i MISSING?

I juist added CineXPlayer for free, dumped a .avi movie into iTunes, sync, and I am now watching it on iPad without going through any conversion process!

Why convert if there are programs like CineXPlayer that will play the .avi without the conversion process?

Thanks,

4. Bogy

Bogy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You are missing a couple of things. First, this thread was started a long time before CineXPlayer was released, and so it wasn't an option. Second, I have installed CineXPlayer and I have a bunch of .avi movies on my desktop. So far I have had a very low success rate with CineXPlayer being able to play my .avi files. Much lower than my success rate with either Format Factory or Handbrake.

5. dannyyoung

dannyyoung
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, I am backing up my dvd's to watch on my iPad - using DVD Decrypter, then Joinvobfiles, and then Format Factory. I have noticed that some of the resulting mp4 files are much smaller than the sum total of the vob files that are presented by DVD Decrypter, for example one DVD resulted in a 5 minute mp4.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for reading.

6. ElmoFuntz

ElmoFuntz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Nice post but

Good post and even found a decent new app for converting files but I am having 1 small yet very annoying problem. When I convert my files they play fine but are reporting the wrong duration in iTunes and on the iPad. a 40 minute movie is reporting double the duration in length. It reports the length fine in windows though so I find this rather odd.. It is quite annoying since I'm not sure what I will have the time to watch or not with the duration reporting wrong.

Oh and what makes it even more puzzling is once I actually start playing the show the seek bar reports the correct time.

Edit: Ok extra weirdness I just played the video in iTunes to see what happened and after the correct duration show it reshows the show all over again with no audio. What gives?

#46 ElmoFuntz, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't see much need for anything other than Air Video. I can drop a file in a folder and stream it to an iPod or my iPad instantly and convert it at the same time to add it to my iTunes.

It's extremely fast to convert as well...

8. ElmoFuntz

ElmoFuntz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Does it let you save the converted video on your iPad though? I want to be able to take a whole season of TV shows with me to watch on the train, etc and can't stream from there....

I was able to convert with a program called avidemux and it came out correct but was a whole lot more work to do 1 file compared to formatfactory.

9. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yes. You can stream almost any file instantly with awesome quality as well start a local conversion on your computer remotely from the iPad.

You have video quality adjustment with a slider bar, and is set at 80% by default....I like to use 100%.

When the file is converted just add it to your iTunes....import file.

I stopped playing with handbrake awhile ago. This is such a hassle free way to convert video.

My only complaint is that I don't think you can start a conversion from the computer side...you have to select the video from the iPad/iPod touch. I think this is to prevent use without buying the application.

10. ElmoFuntz

ElmoFuntz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So I decided to try handbrake after formatfactory did the double video thing and the new nightly build worked great. I queued up 15 TV episodes to convert using the preset iPad settings and it worked wonderfully. It actually did not change the aspect ratio from the original or anything (which is how I wanted it and you can modify this) just converted to m4v. The results on the iPad were just as good as the original on the PC. It was a slight hassle to queue them all up (you queue them 1 at a time as you can change the output for each. There might be a way to batch queue a bunch of file with the same settings but I didn't dig too much).

Note that the main download does not have the iPad presets you have to get the nightly builds directions here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18266