What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert Your Videos - Idiot Proof (Windows)

ElmoFuntz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post but

Good post and even found a decent new app for converting files but I am having 1 small yet very annoying problem. When I convert my files they play fine but are reporting the wrong duration in iTunes and on the iPad. a 40 minute movie is reporting double the duration in length. It reports the length fine in windows though so I find this rather odd.. It is quite annoying since I'm not sure what I will have the time to watch or not with the duration reporting wrong.

Oh and what makes it even more puzzling is once I actually start playing the show the seek bar reports the correct time.

Edit: Ok extra weirdness I just played the video in iTunes to see what happened and after the correct duration show it reshows the show all over again with no audio. What gives?

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see much need for anything other than Air Video. I can drop a file in a folder and stream it to an iPod or my iPad instantly and convert it at the same time to add it to my iTunes.

It's extremely fast to convert as well...

ElmoFuntz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see much need for anything other than Air Video. I can drop a file in a folder and stream it to an iPod or my iPad instantly and convert it at the same time to add it to my iTunes.

Does it let you save the converted video on your iPad though? I want to be able to take a whole season of TV shows with me to watch on the train, etc and can't stream from there....

I was able to convert with a program called avidemux and it came out correct but was a whole lot more work to do 1 file compared to formatfactory.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Does it let you save the converted video on your iPad though? I want to be able to take a whole season of TV shows with me to watch on the train, etc and can't stream from there....

I was able to convert with a program called avidemux and it came out correct but was a whole lot more work to do 1 file compared to formatfactory.

Yes. You can stream almost any file instantly with awesome quality as well start a local conversion on your computer remotely from the iPad.

You have video quality adjustment with a slider bar, and is set at 80% by default....I like to use 100%.

When the file is converted just add it to your iTunes....import file.

I stopped playing with handbrake awhile ago. This is such a hassle free way to convert video.

My only complaint is that I don't think you can start a conversion from the computer side...you have to select the video from the iPad/iPod touch. I think this is to prevent use without buying the application.

ElmoFuntz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I decided to try handbrake after formatfactory did the double video thing and the new nightly build worked great. I queued up 15 TV episodes to convert using the preset iPad settings and it worked wonderfully. It actually did not change the aspect ratio from the original or anything (which is how I wanted it and you can modify this) just converted to m4v. The results on the iPad were just as good as the original on the PC. It was a slight hassle to queue them all up (you queue them 1 at a time as you can change the output for each. There might be a way to batch queue a bunch of file with the same settings but I didn't dig too much).

Note that the main download does not have the iPad presets you have to get the nightly builds directions here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18266

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have e-mailed the developer of this software to ask them to please correct the settings.

Hello,

First of all, I love your software, and I recommend it to all my friends and since I'm a member of a popular iPad forum, to everyone there.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that your iPad setting is incorrect. The iPad doesn't support DivX. It should be h.264 and the iPad supports much higher bitrates than you've chosen as a preset.

I'm wondering if you couldn't set maximum width, maximum height and maximum bitrate instead. Unfortunately, FormatFactory codes black bands in the video with the default settings - I also use (default) unless one of these is too high.

The ideal iPad video specs from the Apple site are here:
H.264, 720p, 30 frames per second, AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v or .mp4 at 2500kbps.

We discuss your software extensively.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/4045-video-converting-mega-test.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/3780-convert-your-videos-idiot-proof-windows.html

Best regards,
NumbLock

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best iPad Video settings
Follow the optimal settings to get excellent playback quality.
iPad HD Video(*.mp4)
Video: Audio:
Codec: h.264 Codec: aac,
Size: 1280*720 SamplerRate: 48000hz,
BitRate: 4000kbps BitRate: 128000bps
FrameRate: 30.00fps Channel: 2
iPad Video H.264(*.mp4)
Codec: h.264 Codec: aac,
Size: 768*576 SamplerRate: 48000hz,
BitRate: 4000kbps BitRate: 128000bps
iPad Video MPEG-4(*.mp4)
Codec: xvid Codec: aac,
Size: 640*480 SamplerRate: 48000hz,
BitRate: 2000kbps BitRate: 128000bps

dannyyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just want to post this one again as it is puzzling me, I am not sure I am doing anything wrong or not?

I am backing up my dvd's to watch on my iPad - using DVD Decrypter, then Joinvobfiles, and then Format Factory. I have noticed that some of the resulting mp4 files are much smaller than the sum total of the vob files that are presented by DVD Decrypter, for example one DVD resulted in a 5 minute mp4.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Had I have checked all of the functions I would have seen that FF can actually do all of this as well!

Last edited:

soham100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Convert with SubTitles?

Does it convert the video which has separate subtitle(.srt) file ?

I mean I hv a movie hurt locker.avi and I hv subtitle file hurt locker.srt

How can I merge them and convert them to iPAD format?

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it convert the video which has separate subtitle(.srt) file ?

I mean I hv a movie hurt locker.avi and I hv subtitle file hurt locker.srt

How can I merge them and convert them to iPAD format?

Sorry, not that know of - but it doesn't cost anything to try. :)

W4KRR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using Format Factory 2.60 to convert a DVD movie for use on the iPad. I notice that it's converting 15 seperate files with .VOB extensions. Does this mean I will have to click on 15 seperate files to watch this one movie, or do the files get combined into one once they're in iTunes, or on the iPad, or do I have to manually take some action to accomplish this?

davies375

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick question....

I have put the resolution as default along with the FPS and the bitrate and was wondering is there anyway to make the quality of the DVD rip any better or is that exactly the same quality as the source? The DVD source of the VOB is 720x576.

The data rate for the vob is 8000kps and the data rate for the mp4 is 1555 kbps.

Thanks for the help, great guide and helped me to finally get an answer when it comes to ripping exactly the resolution of the dvd.

Davies

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davies375 said:
Quick question....

I have put the resolution as default along with the FPS and the bitrate and was wondering is there anyway to make the quality of the DVD rip any better or is that exactly the same quality as the source? The DVD source of the VOB is 720x576.

The data rate for the vob is 8000kps and the data rate for the mp4 is 1555 kbps.

Thanks for the help, great guide and helped me to finally get an answer when it comes to ripping exactly the resolution of the dvd.

Davies

The higher the data rate, the better the quality, but the bigger the file, 8000kps will be dvd quality, but will also be dvd sized file, 1555kps is less than a quarter of the original dvd quality, you could up it to say 2000 or 2500 if your not happy with the quality

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts