What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerning "Mail" and how the inbox is displayed.

TigerZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings.

In advance, I'm guessing the answer to the following question is "you can't" because I haven't fond a way to do it yet.

I hate how the display of the inbox contents is in a column truncating the information in a column occuping 2/5 of the screen. Question. Is there a way to have display the info in full screen and not truncate the preview info?

Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm no sure what you are asking for. Displaying with no truncation would be the equivalent of simply displaying all your email in one long column, or main dispaly. I can see how that would be ok for small amounts of email, but it would be a pain for anything more than a few dozen.

Almost all email apps act this way on the iPad. There are different email layouts available on desktop and laptops, but they also have a lot more screen real-estate to play with. I believe this is a product of how hard it is to beat the efficiency of the one-column-list one email displayed model.

As you've discovered, you can adjust the amount of previewed text from none to five lines in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Preview.

There is another choice, sort of. If you view your email in portrait view you will see an up and down arrow next tot the Inbox button (top left). You can advance through your emails one at a time without opening the Inbox column. That is about as close as you can get to what I think you are asking for.

But, as I said, I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for.

OP
T

TigerZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm no sure what you are asking for. Displaying with no truncation would be the equivalent of simply displaying all your email in one long column, or main dispaly. I can see how that would be ok for small amounts of email, but it would be a pain for anything more than a few dozen.

Almost all email apps act this way on the iPad. There are different email layouts available on desktop and laptops, but they also have a lot more screen real-estate to play with. I believe this is a product of how hard it is to beat the efficiency of the one-column-list one email displayed model.

As you've discovered, you can adjust the amount of previewed text from none to five lines in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Preview.

There is another choice, sort of. If you view your email in portrait view you will see an up and down arrow next tot the Inbox button (top left). You can advance through your emails one at a time without opening the Inbox column. That is about as close as you can get to what I think you are asking for.

But, as I said, I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for.

Thank you for your reply.

In short, what I want is for ALL of the subject line to be displayed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ohh. Now I understand.

Unfortunately you are right. There is no way of adjusting this in the Mail app.

The best you can do is to go to Settings > General > Text Size, and decreasing the text size. This will allow a bit more of the subject line to show. However, it is a system wide settings. It will decrease the size of the default text in most of the native apps and any third party apps that support the feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts