What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to share video files already in the iPAD with various players?

wordslashr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

Hate to ask this obvious Newbie question and I apologize in advance and I did check the stickies and several pages...How do I share the videos (and I suppose music and photos) that I already have in my iPAD across different video players - like the native one, AVPlayer HD, CineXplayer etc etc.

After adding about 45GB in random video files to my iPAD (that I started using again) I discovered that the native player refuses to display the files in a list mode and displays only in a large thumbnail mode so some long file names get truncated. Which brought me to iPadForums. One of the thread suggested AVPlayerHD, another Goodplayer and yet another CineXplayer for better file management, better video quality etc. I downloaded AVPlayerHD and synched it to the iPAD. When I launched the player I expected all the video files (already stored in the iPAD) to show up but all I saw in the under the Media Explorer button was a blank Documents page. The "+" button adds folders easily but where are the videos that I have on the device? I assumed that I missed a setup instruction somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out. I am able to re-add the files in the "File Sharing" in iTunes but I don't have enough space for two of every video file and that did not seem right. And what if I buy yet another software player app?

Hope some can help, thanks.

Gary

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use Goodreader as the file store, and use the Open In... function to open it into the correct playback app. I would suspect that this may also possibly make a copy within the playback app, but you could delete it once viewed if that is the case, knowing your primary copy is always in Goodreader. Other players probably do not have the Open In... functionality to facilitate this.

OP
W

wordslashr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A belated thanks, dhewson777. I already had Goodreader but I was on the road so did not get the content transferred to the iPAD. Works great, especially now that I added another Video player and Filebrowser in the same folder. A new and improved problem came up but I'll use a different thread if I cannot find a solution. Thanks again.

Gary

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, just in case it is not obvious, if the video file is of the correct type (native to iPad), Goodreader itself can play the file. The benefit here is that you can avoid duplication of files and save storage space.

Most reactions