Checklist for troubleshooting Wi-Fi connection problems.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by JJK, May 19, 2011.

1. iPro

iPro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh wait i might understand it:
    the IP-address of our computer is 192.168.1.2.
    So for our ipad i can choose 192.168.1.3. or isn't that the smartest choice?

2. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No, your laptop (or any other device is given an ip via the routers server. We wan't your iPad to log in to a known free ip address area.

If you make your iPad fixed at '3' it may possibly clash with a printer, ps3, xbox360 or other device on your network so to prevent this you reserve a block of addresses like I set out well away from the normal dynamically selected ip's.

Nothing to stop you giving every device on your network a fixed ip, big companies will often set device types into areas. Example printers to 100 - 120, fax machines 150 - 200. Just makes life easier for the tech jock to analyse and/or to keep track of.

Way to think of it is a mum looks to collect her child but knows he/she is at No 28 for a sleep over, so she has no need to bang on other doors in the street to ask.

dynamic ip's (I.e addresses auto handled by your router) are used general purpose, to make it more plug in and play for the less technical minded home or soho users, normally this works fine but if you have a device with a faulty network card, or you have a lot if WiFi activity locally, this can cause issues with addressing.

3. iPro

iPro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Right, that makes sense. Ok final question then: what do i need to type in dor DNS? I searched on the laptop for this but it wasn't filled in...
    Thank you for your patience :)

4. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Leave as it is -just trust me ;)

5. JJK

JJK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You can leave it as it is, but you can also use google DNS.

I use it, because it is faster then my providers DNS.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. MeganT

MeganT
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Rebooting the iPad worked for me. Thank you so much. I was suspecting it was my crappy BigPond Network Gateway, but for once, it wasn't!

7. muraridas

muraridas
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So far I haven't had many problems with wi-fi, mostly just learning the functionality of my ipad..
    rgs,Mike.

8. WCM

WCM
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I was watching netflix on my ipad 2 at home, using my home wifi connection, no problems, then suddenly it says no wifi connection. I go to settings and the ipad doesn't offer to join any networks, it doesn't list any. Not ours, our neighbours, not the others we usually see on the ipad.

I restart the ipad, nothing, I restart our router, nothing. Our wireless music system still works fine. I reset network setings on ipad, nothing. I reset all settings on ipad, nothing. I get irritated and just turn it off, leaving it overnight. Now this morning, still nothing. I restart my wireless again, nothing. I tried re-inputting our network details, but it said 'not found'.

Any online tech support I find talks about trouble joining networks, but my ipad can't even 'see' any. What's going on???

Thanks!

9. devika

devika
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks JJK - this one worked for me first off. Great, was days trying to figure out what was wrong.
    thanks again
    Devika

Reset Network settings
    Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. This will NOT delete your apps, music, etc.
    Press simultaneously the power and home button for 7 seconds. This will reboot the IPad.
    Connect to your Wi-Fi

10. pdrisc

pdrisc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi I am newbie to the forum.

I am experiencing a problem with my IPAD 2 that was bought in April 2011. The wifi reception performance has dropped in the last 2 weeks to the point that unless I am within 10 feet of a wifi router with direct line of sight the signal strength drops like a stone. Even sitting in the next room i am unable to get a signal. All the forums that i have searched only deal with wifi failing completely so have not been of any help. Both the router and ipad have been restarted in line with suggested solutions i have seen on the internet.

I have tested it on other networks including the Apple store in Cardiff with exactly the same effect. The latest software has been installed again but with no improvement. I have also tested the wifi networks that i have access to with other ipads lent to me by friends. Both show no drop in reception on those items.

It was bought in John Lewis but before they started offering the 2 year warranty in July 2011 so it is now outside of it. I am going to try and twist their arm tonight to extend it for me but am not hopeful.

If that is the case it looks like I have 2 options

1. Take the Apple replacement service for failed items outside of warranty but this will cost £199.

2. Look at getting it repaired by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party but I have no experience of this so are they any good.

Has anyone found a similar problem with their ipad and has found a solution or can anyone recommend a company that could repair it?

Look forward to your help.​