iPad 2 wifi issues with diagnostics

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by EwanG, Aug 4, 2011.

1. EwanG

EwanG
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just received my new iPad 2 straight from Apple last night. Came with 4.3.5 preinstalled. Was tearing my hair out over connectivity issues until I found that turning off the WEP or WPA or WPA2 - i.e. turn off all security - "fixes" it.

So tonight I spent some time trying things with the iPad 2 and a monitor on the router.

If ANY type of security is turned on, then the router sees the iPad 2 connect, but shows it as having the IP of "0.0.0.0". If I try to enter a static IP, this makes no change at the router, and there is no obvious change at the iPad 2. If instead I try to use DHCP, then the iPad 2 initially shows nothing. If I renew lease I then show an IP of "169.254.176.38" and a subnet mask of "255.255.255.0", although the router still sees it as 0.0.0.0.

Once I turn off security, then DHCP works. HOWEVER, if I try to setup a Static IP it STILL does DHCP as evidenced by the fact that disconnecting and reconnecting the iPad gets an IP address that is NOT the one I have put in with the Static IP.

Since it works without dropping with security turned off, I doubt this is a hardware issue. I am wondering if "fixing" certificates in 4.3.5 broke something else?

2. Mark29

Mark29
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm having the same issue, though I haven't yet turned off the security on my router - need to do a factory reset, lost the password.

I have the same problem however - even if I use a Static IP Address and type it in, I can't get internet connectivity. I've tried everything suggested other than turning off the security or replacing the router.

BTW, I'm on my 2nd iPad - the first one didn't connect to public wi-fi spots either.

Mark

3. EwanG

EwanG
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just to pre-answer a question that came up in the Apple "support" forums - this is happening on three different routers (TrendNet, Linksys, and Cradlepoint) that are working just fine with an iPad 1, a couple of iPhones, and a couple desktop computers. They all have their most recent firmware. Given that, isn't it odd to think the one thing that changed wouldn't be the problem (i.e. the iPad 2)?

#3 EwanG, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    This is a long shot, and I'm sure it's been tried by both of you before, but have either of you reset the ipad since the update? If you have and I missed that fact, forgive me for repeating advice; but a reset after an update often clears up unusual problems.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

5. EwanG

EwanG
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mention that, but yes, I did try that. Also tried resetting the network settings a couple of times in case some "crud" was being left behind from configuring a few times.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's possible Apple is using two different chip sets due to the demand, and perhaps one of them has a driver issue?

6. Mark29

Mark29
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I had tried resetting the iPad a couple times, as well as turning off & unplugging the router to no avail.

What finally solved it in my case was to change the security to WPA2 from WEP. I know that won't help in EwanG's case. I know in some cases the only way to solve was to replace the router.

Mark

7. Screech

Screech
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    4.3.5 Connectivity

I'm assuming that the issue must be with iOS 4.3.5. This also startd happening on my iPhone 4 after I updated.

8. trksales

trksales
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i wish i knew what you just said, i'd love to try it !

9. trksales

trksales
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    what is a "static" ip address. do i just write static or something. everybody seems to refer to this as a possible fix but nobody describes what it is.