What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case or no case?

case or no case

• Case

Votes: 341 85.0%
  • Bare naked

Votes: 33 8.2%
  • Screen protector and/or invisible skin

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

concu88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the folio which is based on Flammarion's woodcut in sky blue:

5920.jpg

All their covers are handmade to order, and I haven't seen any other vendor who offers this style of leather toolworking.

Looks beautiful

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks beautiful

Don't want to sound like a cliché, but the picture doesn't come close to the actual product... especially the texture of the semi-aniline hide and the "fresh leather" smell. It isn't cheap but you do really get the quality you pay for (and their customer service is first-rate, at that.)

Kevin1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Currently the apple case is on 24h, in case it gets dropped, or when the iPad is crammed in a backpack with other stuff.

But I am tempted to get an Oberon leather cover, just for the design which is simply gorgeous.

Has anyone tried this cover?

I have an Oberon cover for my iPad. I have several Oberon items ( I have a Kindle cover, some journals, a cell phone sleeve, etc) and have always been happy with them. I have the Bold Celtic design cover in the fern color (light green). They are expensive, but I believe they are great quality and I feel it provides great protection. After already having an Oberon cover on my Kindle, I didn't hesitate getting one for my iPad.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the Oberon, their unique selling point is the gorgeous leather toolwork. There are hundreds of leather case makers out there, but no other vendor comes close to offering the full-size, wraparound hot-stamped artwork that Oberon do. (I've seen some tooled-leather covers on etsy.com, but those designs are so idiosyncratic I'm not sure how many people would buy them.)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a reliable n durable heavy duty case asap. Ur ipad will drop at least once in its lifetime. My ipad has dropped to the floor on its back and face down several times, unfortunately. With my targus Truss case/stand, no harm or scratches done. Works like a charm, looks great, and funtions as a stand also ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need another category...

I have the Apple case (and I think I am the only one who has one who actually likes it!) AND a Zagg shield on the front.

I have the apple case also. Was my second case. Very sleek n functional. But i still feared it wasnt enough protection n case of a major fall. Although when i was using it, ipad fell a few times and apple case did protect it. I upgraded to the Targus Truss case. Not as sleek as apple case but Wayyyy more heavy duty protection and makes a better stand also. I still switch back every now n then to the apple case. I still love it. Makes ipad look professional lookin. Now ya made me wanna swap it out of targus into the apple case again ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the folio which is based on Flammarion's woodcut in sky blue:

5920.jpg

All their covers are handmade to order, and I haven't seen any other vendor who offers this style of leather toolworking.

Thats a very nice lookin case. Luv the color n design.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im researching cases right now. Im also looking for a good screen protector. I hate not having my screen protected.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a whole other thread of discussion on screen protectors you should look at (e.g. antiglare vs privacy vs plain protectors etc.)

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know allot but I think if you drop 2 iPads (one with a case and one without) on the floor extremely hard then the case wouldn't do much except prevent additional scratches.

Reaction score
biobunny said:
I don't know allot but I think if you drop 2 iPads (one with a case and one without) on the floor extremely hard then the case wouldn't do much except prevent additional scratches.

The case is supposed to soften the fall.

Obviously the iPad will brake, if you through it on the floor extremely hard, but if you through the iPad extremely hard on the floor purposefully, then you can't really complain that it breaks. The iPad isn't designed as a basketball.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A case would certainly provide a lot more protection than a device without. You would reasonably expect, out of 100 times if a device drops, an unprotected iPad would incur some sort of external and/or internal damage considerably more than one with a case.

If nothing else, a well-designed case buffers a lot of the kinetic impact, thus reducing the chance of the glass breaking or the shell getting dented (to say nothing of the internal electronics.) Citing single examples doesn't mean anything: someone may have driven over his iPad by accident without damage, but it won't mean that ALL iPads are equally impervious to such accidents.

Most reactions

Latest posts