What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Card reader to IPad

Auburtin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Gen 4 IPad , is there a way to connect a card reader ? This is the only computer that I own, and not wanting

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have Gen 4 IPad , is there a way to connect a card reader ? This is the only computer that I own, and not wanting

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some additional information: 1) iOS installed; 2) What to you mean by a 'card reader' - I'm assuming an adapter to the charging dock that will accept SD cards or USB flash drives; and 3) Why do you need this feature? May just help us to be more specific concerning your needs. Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The SD card reader with lightning connector is available from Apple. I use it to transfer photos from my camera to my iPad.

OP
A

Auburtin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did not explain myself enough, I was referring to a SD card reader. I only have an IPad now as I sold my laptop because I hated Win 8.1 so much, so that's why I ask.
Many thanks, Auburtin

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did not explain myself enough, I was referring to a SD card reader. I only have an IPad now as I sold my laptop because I hated Win 8.1 so much, so that's why I ask.
Many thanks, Auburtin

Hello Auburtin - you did not completely answer my questions except to state you wanted a SD reader - please provide which iOS is installed, and whether you want the SD reader for your camera's card or for other purposes.

As indicated by Scifan.., an SD adapter can be used on an iPad mainly for transferring images; there are now a number of 'wireless' devices that accept SD cards and send data over the air - now, I could go on w/ specific recommendations but still not sure 'what' your needs may be? Dave :)

OP
A

Auburtin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wish my camera had an SD card, but my Canon 30d has a CF card, being my luck Apple can't read a CF card.
Thanks for any help, Auburtin

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wish my camera had an SD card, but my Canon 30d has a CF card, being my luck Apple can't read a CF card.

The camera connection kit also comes with a USB adaptor. Some of the smaller, lower powered, CF card readers will work with this adaptor. I'd give you the model of the one I have , but it looks like the manufacturer's label wore off. Old as it is you probably couldn't find one anyway.

If this does not work, you should still be able to plug the camera directly into the iPad using the USB adaptor and a USB mini to full size cable. The camera has to be on for this to work.

I have the Canon 20D, which also uses a CF card, and I too wish for a newer model with SD cards, and all the other cool new features and mega pixels. :) Though, to be honest, I'm not really using the 20D to it's full potential.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello again - TP has already given you some ideas for cabling to your iPad's charging dock, but another alternate is 'wireless' transfer of your camera's images using Wi-Fi options - I have the old 30-pin CCK (Camera Connection Kit) w/ the 2 adapters, which I used w/ my iPad 2 - now have the iPad Air 2 and did not really want to buy another CCK or an intervening adapter, so instead use several Wi-Fi devices and work w/ apps on the iPad, i.e. AirStash & the RavPower FileHub (shown below) - but these work w/ SD cards.

However and if you still want to use your older camera (I just bought a new Panasonic Lumix w/ built-in Wi-Fi which also works well on the iPad w/ a free proprietary app), another consideration is a SD-Compact Flash adapter using an Eye-Fi SD card, such as the last image below - link HERE - there are likely other brands - NOW, I have not used this adaptation but the reviews on Amazon are mostly positive. Dave :)
WiFiStorage_AirStash.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 2.08.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 2.01.15 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts