What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sd card reader for ipad

Lorenkjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am buying a new ipad and need to know if there is an sd card reader for it. I just bought an expensive Sony camera with an sd card, so I need to be able to hook that up to the ipad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

There are two different SD card readers for the iPad, depending on your port:
1184778E-54FC-459A-9379-A9F2212AC249.jpeg

If your device has a lightning port (iPad Air, iPad Pro from 2015 to 2017, iPad mini), you‘ll need the Lightning to SD card reader (at the right). With an iPad Pro (2018), there‘s the USB-C to SD card reader (see screenshot above).

It‘s also possible to transfer the photos wirelessly. See this thread for more information:
Review of RavPower FileHub 2

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am buying a new ipad and need to know if there is an sd card reader for it. I just bought an expensive Sony camera with an sd card, so I need to be able to hook that up to the ipad.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some more information: 1) What iPad model are you purchasing in view of Johanna's suggestions; 2) What type of SD card does your new camera use (there are 3 sizes as shown below - Source); and 3) Does the Sony camera have a Wi-Fi option?

There are two basic ways to get images onto an iPad (not counting taking pics w/ the built-in camera): 1) Wired w/ adapters that accept the SD card(s) or cabled to a computer using iTunes; and 2) A number of 'wireless' options, from emailing images to yourself to using devices that rely on a Wi-Fi network or using Wi-Fi built into the camera or into an SD card, i.e. Eye-Fi. My assumption is that you want to remove the SD card from the camera and use an adapter to attach to your new iPad - correct; but let us know if the DC has Wi-Fi and also consider an Eye-Fi option, us another suggestion.

Now, as to the other comment about the Rav File-Hub (shown below) - I was a contributor to that thread and own the device which works fine despite the thread being 3+ years old - a proprietary app on the iPad and the File-Hub establish a 'personal' Wi-Fi network and allow image exchange; I also own the other device shown below which works in a similar manner - Amazon offers MANY different choices for this purpose so take a look there or at a camera/electronics website(s). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 2.15.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.09.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.11.36 PM.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both of the SD dongles, lightning and now a USBc for my 2018 12.9 Pro. Both work really well and depending on your Ipad model may be extremely fast. When I travel I often use a WD wifi/USB external drive—easy to transfer to a computer when I return. I’ve contemplated a USBc hub (if your Ipad is USBc enabled) but at the moment don’t need one but that’s another option.

If you have a Mac to transfer to later just uploading to your Ipad and have Icloud Photos enabled on both may be sufficient so you have same photos (and cloud backup) on all devices. I have external drives with photo files going back to 1999 so I transfer (for backup) files to those drives also (via Mac)—but for most people this is (way) overkill.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an 11” iPad Pro and I’m using the RavPower previously mentioned to transfer both pictures and video from my Dji Osmo Pocket camera to the iPad.
I found the problem with using a standard usb c card reader with the iPad Pro is that the files you are importing have to conform to Apple’s file naming standard ie. xxx_yyyy (8 characters), and have to be in a recognised dcim/media folder structure. Also you can only ‘import’ all of the files at once.
Using the RavPower’s app allows me to be selective with the files I import, and the file naming convention is ignored.

You can use the RavPower with both iPad Pro and standard iPad/iPhone, however if your iPad/iPhone has a lightning connector (as my iPad Air2 has), then I use a Transcend RDA2 card reader with its own iPad/iPhone app.
https://www.transcend-info.com/apple/rda2

OP
L

Lorenkjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have decided on the Ipad mini, as it has 64 gbs of space rather than 32 gbs. I am going to use it as my everyday computer. I have a Logitech K480 keyboard (which is bluetooth) to type with. I also have a Seagate wireless 2 tb drive to offload and store documents to. Thank you all for you great advice. Oh I work with an Amazon tablet that is too small for everyday space wise at 16 gbs. So the 64 gbs should be plenty. I am not planning on picking one up until the middle of next week, so still time for suggestions. Thanks again.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I move images around my various devices (3 HP computers running 3 different versions of Windows, primary is 8.1) an iPad 6, and an iPhone X, via iCloud for Windows. They sync and share seamlessly.The 8.1 PC and the Apple devices even share their internet bookmark lists .There is also a folder in the PC with all my iPhone photos dumped in it! I found that by accident after clicking on the wrong file icon after a drag and drop session. I can drag and drop from one platform to another with no issues. Since the PCs have SD card slots, if I were to need to, I could go that route. Much more convenient, and simple than it sounds here. L

Most reactions