What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Card reader for IPad 4

Norfolklad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have recently moved from an Android tablet to an IPad 4, and so far am very pleased with the change. The only problem I have at the moment is I cannot find a suitable card reader to allow me to import and work with video files I have on the additional Micro SD card from my tablet. I have sent for, and tried a couple of card readers advertised on EBay, but neither have worked. I get a message saying that particular device is not supported. Can anybody please point me towards a reader that actually works on the IPad 4. Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i have recently moved from an Android tablet to an IPad 4, and so far am very pleased with the change. The only problem I have at the moment is I cannot find a suitable card reader to allow me to import and work with video files I have on the additional Micro SD card from my tablet. I have sent for, and tried a couple of card readers advertised on EBay, but neither have worked. I get a message saying that particular device is not supported. Can anybody please point me towards a reader that actually works on the IPad 4. Thank you.

Hello Norfolklad - welcome to the forum! :) You've already received excellent advice on using Apple's SD card adapters - personally, a process that I ditched years ago w/ my first iPad (2nd generation - now on an Air 2 and looking for a newer one - ;)) - there are many options these days for transferring 'files' between iPads, computers, cameras, etc. - first expand the quote below, a post I left about 2 years ago in the forum - most of the information is still valid and describes a number of connected and wireless ways of managing photos - not sure if you are also using a computer, but would impact on the recommendations.

Since that time, I've used my Wi-Fi Panasonic camera often, which can transfer iPad photos/video wirelessly to a free proprietary app on the iDevice - works well; also, Eye-Fi technology has expanded and improved in recent years, i.e. basically SD cards for your camera w/ built-in Wi-Fi transmitters - apps reside on your iPad to transfer desired files. Finally, cabled apps between an iPad and computer have also improved and these days are quite impressive - in my quoted post, I mentioned iExplorer, but have also purchased a similar one called iMazing which I've been using more often - SO, look at my previous post and the links to see if any of these numerous choices will ease your transition - good luck and post back as needed. Dave
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 5.42.46 PM.png

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I've struggled w/ iTunes and photo transfer from my computers and/or cameras since early 2011, so let me provide a few potential solutions although others likely exit. First, I really dislike using iTunes for 'photo transfer' and have stopped employing the app years ago for that purpose - but if you look at the first image below, one choice is to make one or several folders (the ones checked) and store the images you want to transfer to the iPad in those folders, so that only those pics will sync - there are issues w/ that method as you 'remove' images from your iPad and/or your computer's folders, thus not my choice any more.

Second, Apple's cloud and photo stream services have really developed in recent years, especially if you want to share your images across devices and w/ others - not a priority for me, so not a user, but an area to explore if the concept is of interest.

Next, there are a variety of photo transfer apps that can easily accomplish your goals using wireless technology - no cables and no clumsy dock photo connectors (had one for my old iPad 2, now sold, but did not buy a new one when I purchased an iPad Air 2 - do all wirelessly) - see the next 3 attached images - all of these apps are either on my device, computer, or both - google each to see if one or more may solve your photo issues. I also use Apple's AirDrop a lot to get images and other files between my MBPro and my iPad.

Finally, concerning transfer of images from your cameras, I would forget about using a cabled attachment - my choice is to simply remove the SD card from my camera(s) and using either the built-in card reader or a USB card reader, transfer selected images from the storage card to my computer. There are a number of wireless devices that are inexpensive which use the SD cards and by establishing a personal Wi-Fi network (and using an appropriate app on your iDevice) transfer photos - the two that I own are shown below (the second one is more versatile as the description states). Dave :)

P.S. SD cards can be used in cameras that have built-in Wi-Fi (called Eye-Fi); in addition, I just purchased a new Lumix Panasonic DC w/ Wi-Fi and can easily transfer images from my camera's SD card (without removing it) to my iPad using an app from Panasonic - works like a charm.

View attachment 67699 View attachment 67700 View attachment 67701 View attachment 67702 View attachment 67703 View attachment 67704

Most reactions

Latest posts