What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB / CF Card

Psycoco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there a way of getting photos from USB onto iPad?
I've tried but won't let me do it.
Also, can I get photos off my CF card onto iPad? I'm using a regular card reader and an adapter that connects it to the iPad.
Once again, won't let me do it.
Do I have to buy a particular connector/reader?
Don't know what I've done but screen froze and the last few words did not show.
Sorry 'bout that
Barb

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Psycoco said:
Hi all,
Is there a way of getting photos from USB onto iPad?
I've tried but won't let me do it.
Also, can I get photos off my CF card onto iPad? I'm using a regular card reader and an adapter that connects it to the iPad.
Once again, won't let me do it.
Do I have to buy a particular connector/reader?
Don't know what I've done but screen froze and the last few words did not show.
Sorry 'bout that
Barb

You need the camera connection kit from Apple. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
You need the camera connection kit from Apple. iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit
Unless there is a new version of CCK, the camera connection kit cannot accomodate CF cards. The only way that I know to read CF cards is with a third-part adapter (that are readily available if you know where to look). I just made a quick check and I see them at "Tmart" and "M.I.C." The latter is where I got mine.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
slothead said:
Unless there is a new version of CCK, the camera connection kit cannot accomodate CF cards. The only way that I know to read CF cards is with a third-part adapter (that are readily available if you know where to look). I just made a quick check and I see them at "Tmart" and "M.I.C." The latter is where I got mine.

Correct, the camera connection kit only reads SD cards loaded with photos stored using the file format used by digital cameras. If the info on the CF cards is not in the correct format using any sort of adaptor won't allow the iPad to download it.

OP
Psycoco

Psycoco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses!

When I bought the iPad, my requirement was for it to accept RAW files.
The techie at JB grabbed a Nikon camera, took some shots in RAW and moved the pics onto the iPad. Nikons have SD cards and stupidly I assumed the CF from the Canon would do the same thing.
(I haven't tried moving pics straight from Canon camera onto iPad as it's a bit bothersome.)

Slothead, did you purchase an ordinary every day kind of card reader or one that is made specifically for iPad?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Psycoco said:
Thanks for all your responses!

When I bought the iPad, my requirement was for it to accept RAW files.
The techie at JB grabbed a Nikon camera, took some shots in RAW and moved the pics onto the iPad. Nikons have SD cards and stupidly I assumed the CF from the Canon would do the same thing.
(I haven't tried moving pics straight from Canon camera onto iPad as it's a bit bothersome.)

Slothead, did you purchase an ordinary every day kind of card reader or one that is made specifically for iPad?

I take it you got the standard Apple CCK from JB? Does your camera have a USB cable and connection? Try plugging in your camera to the USB Connector of the CCK. It should work if your camera can connect straight to a PC or Mac for file transfer.

BTW, if you looking to try a 3rd party CCK, I have not seen too many around in shops here. I did see one in Harvey Norman, about the same price as the Apple one. Otherwise you may have to go online. But make sure you try the camera straight into the USB connector first.

OP
Psycoco

Psycoco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks dhewson777.

Apple CCK not suitable as there is no slot for the CF Card.
Will try connecting camera to iPad, but wanted easier option.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Psycoco said:
Thanks dhewson777.

Apple CCK not suitable as there is no slot for the CF Card.
Will try connecting camera to iPad, but wanted easier option.

Yes, but the USB slot is designed to plug your device straight in, so you can leave your card in the camera, which is handy when it's something other than a SD card.

OP
Psycoco

Psycoco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I tried downloading photos directly from the camera and it worked a treat.

I guess I'll be doing all my downloading through the camera from now and not bother trying to find a way of using the CF card.

Most reactions