Can't use mini iPad due to lost password

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by joodyanne, Jun 7, 2017.

1. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    J.A -
    I have done that many many times, and it goes round in circles back to the start. Three times I have put my mobile phone no. on as it requested, and it said it would send me instructions - but never did. So I could not do anything. It still asks me to acitvate it tho - but doesn't like any password I put in The full message is - "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad" (and shows part of the address)

I made up a password, and of course it says "activation session expired. Your activation session expired - please try again" grrr . and this happens over and over again - I just can't get anywhere.

To Brian 244 - It is my own iPad which I bought brand new from Dick Smith Electronics some 3 years ago - as you know Dick Smith is no more.

I am happy to reset from scratch but no-one can tell me how.

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's not possible. There's no workaround for iCloud's Activation Lock.

Do you still have the billing that proves that you are the owner of this device? If so, take the billing with you, visit the next Apple Retail Store, to get help. It doesn't matter where you got it from.

3. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I hope I am not being difficult - but I do not have statements for that far back for the purchase of same - I can't even remember the date. Apple would know. It is now disabled for security reasons. I am so sick of this - do I just throw the iPad away now????

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you use this site to reset your password?
    Recover Your Apple ID - Apple

Either answer your security questions, or choose to get an email from Apple to reset your iCloud ID's password. If you prefer getting an email, and you didn't receive it, this will help:
    If you didn't receive your verification or reset email

If you can't reset the password, you won't be able to use it. Erasing or restoring is not possible.

5. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just a thought: If you paid by credit card or similar - i.e. not cash, I assume the 'bank' company would have a record of the transaction.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get the exact purchase date of the iPad by going to the Apple website and entering the serial number printed on the back of the case. Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
    This site will give you the purchase date and warranty status of any Apple device.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Abbyacb

Abbyacb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I'm just confused that, if the passcode can be removed by entering DFU mode to factory reset iPad?

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've forgotten the Apple ID password, it's not possible to restore the iPad. The Apple ID password has to be correctly entered before the iPad can be restored.

9. 2112

Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yup, there's a problem. Just updated to 10.3.3 and can't log in anywhere two step ver. Is used. Let's hope Apple fixes it soon. Hang in there!

10. Abbyacb

Abbyacb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    But you can still hard reset you iPad, right? And get into the DFU mode? I just think that if I factory reset my iPad, then I can just get a "new" iPad without any passcode. am I wrong?