What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't use mini iPad due to lost password

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On line I filled in a form to say I had lost my password and was advised that I would receive a text message in a few days - that was well over a week ago, and the iPad is still useless till I can get in. I don't recall the specific site, as I thought they would contact me

Any suggestions, like starting from square one again?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Judy - please tell us which Mini you own and the iOS version that is installed; also, are you referring to your 4-digit passcode (as shown below) and/or Apple ID? Finally, check this Apple Support Article. Dave :)
IMG_8522.PNG

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Judy - please tell us which Mini you own and the iOS version that is installed; also, are you referring to your 4-digit passcode (as shown below) and/or Apple ID? Finally, check this Apple Support Article. Dave :)
View attachment 77912
Before I delete anything, when I turn the iPad on, I use the 4 numbered password, and that in turn opens up "Activation Lock" This iPad is lined to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID ad password that were used to set up this iPad. Thus I am not able to tell you what model or anything - but am hoping I may have done an earlier post with that information in.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Before I delete anything, when I turn the iPad on, I use the 4 numbered password, and that in turn opens up "Activation Lock" This iPad is lined to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID ad password (PW) that were used to set up this iPad. Thus I am not able to tell you what model or anything - but am hoping I may have done an earlier post with that information in.

Hi again Judy - as to the iPad Mini's model, you can check on the back of the device and in small print there is information for identification - as to the iOS installed, you'll have to tell us.

Now, from the above, I'm still not sure what the issue may be, i.e. you imply that you know the 'real' 4-digit code but is then asked for your Apple ID and its PW - did you enter your 4-digit code incorrectly to the point of being 'shut out' of your device? If so, the issue now seems to be knowing your Apple ID & PW - please clarify so we can give more specific advice - as to the Apple ID issue, if that is the present problem, check this OSXDaily Article for help - finally, have you been backing up your iPad to a computer (Mac or PC) and/or to the Cloud? Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't do either Brian. I have filled in the requisite forms twice to get a new passwords, and both times I was told I would receive a message on my phone to tell me what to do, and both times that has not happened.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like a call to Apple support is in order. Or a visit to a local Apple Store.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I dont know why I didnt get a phone message as stated on line though. It recognized my account (twice) and said it would send a phone message :(

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This sounds like two factor authentication to me. This along with the activation lock is leading me to believe that the iPad either has either belonged to someone else up until recently or someone hacked your Apple ID and changed the password. Without a proof of purchase or contacting the previous owner there's nothing else that you can do.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A -
Did you follow these instructions to reset your password?
If you forgot your Apple ID password
I have done that many many times, and it goes round in circles back to the start. Three times I have put my mobile phone no. on as it requested, and it said it would send me instructions - but never did. So I could not do anything. It still asks me to acitvate it tho - but doesn't like any password I put in The full message is - "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad" (and shows part of the address)

I made up a password, and of course it says "activation session expired. Your activation session expired - please try again" grrr . and this happens over and over again - I just can't get anywhere.

To Brian 244 - It is my own iPad which I bought brand new from Dick Smith Electronics some 3 years ago - as you know Dick Smith is no more.

I am happy to reset from scratch but no-one can tell me how.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not possible. There's no workaround for iCloud's Activation Lock.

Do you still have the billing that proves that you are the owner of this device? If so, take the billing with you, visit the next Apple Retail Store, to get help. It doesn't matter where you got it from.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope I am not being difficult - but I do not have statements for that far back for the purchase of same - I can't even remember the date. Apple would know. It is now disabled for security reasons. I am so sick of this - do I just throw the iPad away now????

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you use this site to reset your password?
Recover Your Apple ID - Apple

Either answer your security questions, or choose to get an email from Apple to reset your iCloud ID's password. If you prefer getting an email, and you didn't receive it, this will help:
If you didn't receive your verification or reset email

If you can't reset the password, you won't be able to use it. Erasing or restoring is not possible.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a thought: If you paid by credit card or similar - i.e. not cash, I assume the 'bank' company would have a record of the transaction.

Most reactions

Latest posts