What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini will not accept my wireless internet password

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a home wireless network which is password protected. I have the iPad Mini, a 3rd Gen iPad, an iMac, an iPod Touch, a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and a Kindle HD Fire. Everything will connect to my network except the Mini. When I try to connect it, I am asked for my network password (router), which I type in correctly, but the Mini tells me it is an incorrect password! I have tried resetting both the network settings and all settings, but get the same message! Will resetting my Mini totally and erasing everything fix this, or will I be barking up the wrong tree and causing myself a lot of work getting my programs back without fixing the problem? Any thoughts?
Unkei

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can try "Reset Network Settings" but don't do a "Reset All Settings". The latter will wipe your iPad but the former won't.

I have not had any toubles as you mentioned with my mini and many others have not. So, my guess is that your issue is somehow unique to your situation/environment/equipment.

kellyjdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-fix.com
I'm the new guy, but have a bunch of experience with my home network, as well as converting to Apple product use in Ot. of last year. Can't handle Micro$oft any longer.
So…

In your router page, how many devices are allowed to use your router all at the same time? I have a Linksys EA3500 N750 router and can carry an unlimited amount of devices at any time. My router page is accessible from 196.168.1.1 in a browser window.

Considering that you have not listed your router make and model, or whether your iPad has been accessible in the past or whether you have just purchased it and are setting it up, suggestions are generic at best.

In your iPad Wi-Fi Preferences panel, click the small blue arrow to the right of the network you use. In the new window, "Forget this Network." Hard reset the device (Hold Home and Power button till the device resets, about ten seconds.) After the reboot, go back to Wi-Fi settings and add the network you prefer. You will need the SSID and key.

This may not be a solution, but you haven't stated whether you have tried this or not.

Considering that you have a protected network, you know how to access the router page.

I hope this helps,
Kelly J.

Last edited:
OP
Unkei

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. To AQ-OC, I tried both reset network settings and reset all settings. Neither worked but reset all settings doesn't wipe the iPad, just returns any settings previously changed back to factory default. Still no luck with my correct password. To
kellyjdrummer, the router is successfully handling a Windows desktop, a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, a Kindle Fire HD, a 3rd Gen iPad, an iPod Touch 4th Gen, and an iMac. All of which connect easily to internet. The iPad Mini always worked also, up till about a week ago, and never asked for a password before.
Even though it now requests a password and I type in the correct one, it responds with the incorrect
password wording. I am by no means a computer newbie; have had computers since the Two Steves built their first one in a garage.
I have built computers, designed websites for national Industrial Companies, and am proficient in Photoshop. But this problem with the Mini is frustrating, because it always just worked before.( the main reason I buy Apple products) I just wondered if a total wipe to factory new condition might work. But if it won't, I purchased a 3 year warranty at Best Buy, and will just exchange it for a new one, and bite the bullet on reinstalling all my programs. If I can avoid that, it would be good! Thanks again,
Unkei

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Unkei - not sure that I can help much - my suggestions would have been to 'Reset' the iPad & power recycle your modem/router - seems that you've gone through all of those steps w/o success; but, have you removed the router's passcode and then tried to connect w/ the iPad Mini? Might 'narrow' the issue to your security setup? Also, are you able to connect to another Wi-Fi (e.g. Starbucks, etc.) network w/ the Mini? Again, would suggest that the device's Wi-Fi is working. About all that I can offer - good luck and please let us know your solution(s) - Dave :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
but reset all settings doesn't wipe the iPad, just returns any settings previously changed back to factory default.

You do realize that this is effectively like resetting the iPad because most of the work is in putting is the zillions of settings. It can be a lot of work to set up all the apps and enter all the passwords again. A lot of work. Reinstalling programs is easy as all you need to do is let the iPad download them again.

kellyjdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-fix.com
Can you use your cell phone as a Mobile Hotspot? If yes, if you don't already use it (I use my Blackberry as a router often) ad it as a network if you can see it with the iPad. If so, the router may be the problem.

Last edited:

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a work around.
You could invest in a portable wifi router/hotspot and set it up as a bridge.
Since the router is portable hopefully the coverage range will be limited.
And just leave the wifi free of security and shut it off when you're done.

OP
Unkei

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I had a chance to get to our local Apple Store and they reset everything and identified 5 Apps that might be interfering. I can now sign on my home network with
my password and while the connection drops out on the rare occasion, everything is right with my
digital universe now. And none of those Apps were must haves for me! My iMac, iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPad 3, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire HD, and even the wife's Windows Computer (ughhhhh!) are all working without a hitch. The Apple Store guy fixed it for free and knew it wasn't even purchased there! Try that with the Windows People!
Anyway, thanks again to everyone who tried to help this tired old man!
Unkei

Last edited:

dvitale300

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad that I got with the initial US shipment a few years back. It's been a workhorse for me. For Father's Day I got an iPad mini 64gb w wireless. My first thoughts were to take it back for an iPad 4 with retina and a faster processor. I decided to stock it out - and I made the right decision. I am thrilled with my mini. I don't even notice the difference in screen size. The mini performs flawlessly, is easy to handle. I take it everywhere. I didn't get the cellular option but that's working out as well. I used to pay AT&T 25 per month for service but never used 1/4th of my allotment. If I need to go online I simple use my android as a hotspot. The only accessories I bought were a padded logo tech cover for when I'm traveling and an apple magnetic cover for when I'm local. Also an extra charging cord as well as a pin converter and a zagg screen. Btw - what's up with the new design for the charger? Is there a technical reason or just a way for apple to screw us all out of a few extra bucks?

OP
Unkei

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey dvitale300,
I love my Mini too! Much easier to haul around and easier to handle when watching movies and reading in bed. When I couldn't get the internet to work on it for a few days, I took the regular iPad upstairs and it's just too heavy! Much easier with the Mini. If I fell asleep with the regular iPad and conked my head it hurt! LOL!
Unkei

Most reactions

Latest posts