What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we see 3 D films on ipad 3

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we see 3 D films on ipad 3

While you can't see the newest 3D films, such as Avatar, in 3D on the iPad, the original B+W 3D movies from the 50's, which used different coloured filters for each eye, can be seen in 3D on the iPad if a 3D version of the movie can be found and downloaded to the iPad. The 1980's color 3D movies which used differentially polarized filters for each eye can be viewed in 3D on the iPad, if a 3D version of the movie is downloaded to your iPad.

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While you can't see the newest 3D films, such as Avatar, in 3D on the iPad, the original B+W 3D movies from the 50's, which used different coloured filters for each eye, can be seen in 3D on the iPad if a 3D version of the movie can be found and downloaded to the iPad. The 1980's color 3D movies which used differentially polarized filters for each eye can be viewed in 3D on the iPad, if a 3D version of the movie is downloaded to your iPad.

I am not sure you are correct.

Have you actually tried it?

Remember (or perhaps not, if you are not into LCD construction) the screen contains a polarizer filter. This might create issues. Also, there is no way I can see to individually polarize the left and right eye views in a way that meets the needs of the polarized glasses.

Anaglyphic stereo is fine, however. If you like bad images on your iPad.:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure you are correct.

Have you actually tried it?

Remember (or perhaps not, if you are not into LCD construction) the screen contains a polarizer filter. This might create issues. Also, there is no way I can see to individually polarize the left and right eye views in a way that meets the needs of the polarized glasses.

Anaglyphic stereo is fine, however. If you like bad images on your iPad.:)

Look at this thread, from one of our Supporting Vendors. http://www.ipadforums.net/pavtube-s...-blu-ray-movies-new-ipad-3-full-hd-1080p.html

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not think it is possible, now that i consider the query.

A polarized system requires that the left and right-eye view be polarized in such a way that the left-eye view is not visable by the right eye and vice versa. Typically, this is done using a special projector, a special lens set and corresponding polarizers.

Add the polarizer to the mix (the one in the display) and I just cannot see how it could be possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts