What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the iPad Pro display be Calibrated?

Sid_007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a12.9” iPad Pro and want to use a new (to me) lab that requires the display to be calibrated. My understanding is that this is not possible. If I am wrong, what equipment is needed to do the calibration? Thanks, dear folks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use a12.9” iPad Pro and want to use a new (to me) lab that requires the display to be calibrated. My understanding is that this is not possible. If I am wrong, what equipment is needed to do the calibration? Thanks, dear folks!

Hello Sid - just for starters, you need to explain what is meant in the text above in bold, i.e. 'use a new lab' - is that a 'new app' or am I missing something? And what is meant by the 'display being calibrated' - the display has a fixed resolution (i.e. pixel size) - text can be easily varied in size and a number of other display changes can be made - but if you need to change the 'resolution' of the screen then not aware that is an option on an iPad (vs. Apple's macOS computers). SO, please better explain 'what' you need to do and if you are talking about an 'app', then what is its name? Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. The display can not be calibrated. However, the color accuracy of the display is considered one of the best in the industry. I’m not sure calibration would improve it. You would want to make sure that Night Shift and True Tone are turned off in the display settings, as they adjust color based on time and ambient light.

Another possibility are the apps that let you use the iPad as a graphics tablet, similar to what you can do with a top of the line Wacom tablet. The computer you use it with could have a calibrated display.

I believe Astropad Studio is one of the best apps for that; though I’ve no personal experience with it.

You’d have to ask your instructor if that is acceptable.

OP
S

Sid_007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Sid - just for starters, you need to explain what is meant in the text above in bold, i.e. 'use a new lab' - is that a 'new app' or am I missing something? And what is meant by the 'display being calibrated' - the display has a fixed resolution (i.e. pixel size) - text can be easily varied in size and a number of other display changes can be made - but if you need to change the 'resolution' of the screen then not aware that is an option on an iPad (vs. Apple's macOS computers). SO, please better explain 'what' you need to do and if you are talking about an 'app', then what is its name? Dave

Dave, “lab” refers to a new (to me) photo processing laboratory—or, to be really clear, where, I assume, most of us send our image files for processing into hard copy prints. My current, quite excellent’ lab is Finerworks, but I wanted to see if MPIXPRO might offer some alternative services that would be a complement.

MPIXPRO requires that one send five files for processing as calibration images for ones monitor. Turned out that the resulting prints were quite awful! All five appear to have been dipped in a syrup-colored dye that wiped out both white and near white details, but also, of course, blacks and near blacks. The effect is very much like that of sepia prints.Their response was that the problem lay with an uncalibrated display.

The bottom line is clear, the MPIXPRO folks know nothing about the fantastic iPad Pro!

I hasten to add that with Finerworks prints this never happens. Their product is as close to perfection as an expression of my iPad Pro’s screen as humanly possible. All without any so-called calibration. I hope that my experience serves as a lesson for other folks on this forum.

Sid

OP
S

Sid_007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. The display can not be calibrated. However, the color accuracy of the display is considered one of the best in the industry. I’m not sure calibration would improve it. You would want to make sure that Night Shift and True Tone are turned off in the display settings, as they adjust color based on time and ambient light.

Another possibility are the apps that let you use the iPad as a graphics tablet, similar to what you can do with a top of the line Wacom tablet. The computer you use it with could have a calibrated display.

I believe Astropad Studio is one of the best apps for that; though I’ve no personal experience with it.

You’d have to ask your instructor if that is acceptable.

Thanx, twerppoet, good perspectives. For sure, I have never questioned my iPad’s color and tonal rendition. And, now, thanks to your response, I’m ever more sure of its accuracy.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, “lab” refers to a new (to me) photo processing laboratory—or, to be really clear, where, I assume, most of us send our image files for processing into hard copy prints. My current, quite excellent’ lab is Finerworks, but I wanted to see if MPIXPRO might offer some alternative services that would be a complement.

MPIXPRO requires that one send five files for processing as calibration images for ones monitor. Turned out that the resulting prints were quite awful! All five appear to have been dipped in a syrup-colored dye that wiped out both white and near white details, but also, of course, blacks and near blacks. The effect is very much like that of sepia prints.Their response was that the problem lay with an uncalibrated display.

The bottom line is clear, the MPIXPRO folks know nothing about the fantastic iPad Pro!

I hasten to add that with Finerworks prints this never happens. Their product is as close to perfection as an expression of my iPad Pro’s screen as humanly possible. All without any so-called calibration. I hope that my experience serves as a lesson for other folks on this forum.

Sid

Hi Sid - thanks for the explanation - my mind was obviously going in another direction - I rarely have color prints made (but have used several online sites in the past, including AdoramaPix - cannot remember having to submit multiple files) - glad that you appear to be fine from the above comments. Good luck - Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a plug for a fine nature photographer from the Southeast (and no relation to me - just have bought a number of his prints in the past and framed myself) - his name is David Shipper, website HERE - he keeps adding services and 'new' offerings (e.g. just bought a set of coasters from him w/ a number of his bird pics - beautiful; 2nd pic below), including photo printing (see first pic below and check website, if interested) - I've not used this service (yet) but can certainly vouch for the quality of his prints that I've purchased. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 7.16.25 PM.png

69582550_1909505625851483_6787982561906786304_o.jpg

OP
S

Sid_007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx, Dave, I don’t think I would have thought of Adorama as a viable photo processing outfit. Because you mentioned them, I just took a short cruise of their site and am seriously considering them as a possibility. Also will check out Shipper’s site after I post this. It’s always a good thing to get tips from folks who have already “been there”.

Most reactions