What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Pro 2 Rumored w/ 12.9" 4K Display

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just found an interesting article about an alleged iPad Pro 2. Upon further investigation I found many more articles some of which suggest that the new 12.9" IPad will have a 4k display and A10X SOC in addition to the ambient light capabilities of the 9.7" Model...

First photos of alleged 'iPad Pro 2' surface in China

So who's thinking about upgrading? Why/why not? What features are you looking for in an upgrade and what would make it worth it to you?

Personally, I doubt very much that I will be upgrading. The A9X is plenty fast for me and I don't think I will be needing 4K anytime soon.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From the time I got my iPad 1 when they first came out, I was always hoping for a 12" iPad. When the Pro 12.9 finally was released I found it kind of big, so I went for the 9.7. -- Go figure :)

So, I probably won't be going for the larger Pro 2... 4K was designed for large displays. (I don't think you can buy a 4K computer monitor that's under 27-28 Inches). So it won't be that much of a benefit on a the screen of a 12.9 inch tablet.

I have a 50 inch UHD TV that displays 3840 x 2160 video. I use it to view 4K shot on my DJI Phantom drone, and I can also watch any 4K content I might take with my Pro 9.7

But one thing.... Looking at the images in the link you posted, it appears that they might have broken from the 4:3 aspect ratio tradition and gone to 16:9. It's hard to tell with the thing in portrait mode.

scotttnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found an interesting article about an alleged iPad Pro 2. Upon further investigation I found many more articles some of which suggest that the new 12.9" IPad will have a 4k display and A10X SOC in addition to the ambient light capabilities of the 9.7" Model...

So who's thinking about upgrading? Why/why not? What features are you looking for in an upgrade and what would make it worth it to you?

Personally, I doubt very much that I will be upgrading. The A9X is plenty fast for me and I don't think I will be needing 4K anytime soon.

I'm 99% sure those photos are not the next 12.9" Pro. Look at the screen size compared to the hand holding it, and the size of the home button. Then look at the menu. If you bring up the same menu on a 12.9" model the screen is big enough to display the whole right hand pane without scrolling. In the photo, the menu layout is exactly the same (other than language) as my iPad Air 2, scrolling is required. I think the photos are actually a 9.7" model of some kind. In my opinion this rumor is not credible, and I think and early 2017 update is more likely than 2016. Which is why I'm going to buy a 12.9 duty free when I travel next week.

Zonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really about to buy a 12.9 pro, but I've been waiting to see if they release a new one in Sept/Oct/Nov 2016.

How likely is that?

Will it be a fully upgrade like thinner and faster?

Or will it be just updating the 12.9 to meet all the specs of the smaller ipad pro?

What do you guys think will happen?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm really about to buy a 12.9 pro, but I've been waiting to see if they release a new one in Sept/Oct/Nov 2016.

How likely is that?

Will it be a fully upgrade like thinner and faster?

Or will it be just updating the 12.9 to meet all the specs of the smaller ipad pro?

What do you guys think will happen?
Likely will be an update and likely a spec bump to catch up with the smaller pro.

OP
metalcyclone

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think if the new Pro12.9 has 4k and an A10X SOC then it qualifies as more than just an upgrade to match the 9.7's specs... remember that the 9.7 still just has the same A9X chip as the Pro 12.9 and it's even underclocked with less RAM if I'm not mistaken. So an A10X would probably be a huge upgrade as would jumping to 4K. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but if it does the new Pro is going to be a beast. That said I still stand by my original statement that those two upgrades would probably not be enough for me to get one. I actually am holding out hope for a new iPad mini this year. I hear that one is in the pipeline with a A9 SOC and a thinner than 5mm width... that would make it the thinnest tablet in the world I believe and if they are making it so slim, I would hope that the design might get changed up a bit as well. We'll see....

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I will not be upgrading this cycle. I had intended to wait for the !2.9" Pro 2 but my Air was giving me fits so I bought a Pro in April. The size is quite right for me, I carry a 6splus day to day and we work from home offices plus I love it for personal use. I use it a great deal more than my Macbook Pro 15" and do a lot of multitasking/split screen, annotating PDFs, using Pencil for photography related apps and other drawing and writing, etc. I'm actually quite happy with it now (weight and thinness, speed, screen size, etc) and won't upgrade until I feel the need. BTW I would turn off the ambient light action.

A friend told me he'd love to have one of both sizes--But likely few of us could or would do that. I've kept my old Air which i keep connected to power for streaming but it seems so small when I think of doing anything else,

I might mention I thought of an Apple keyboard case but I replaced my old Apple BT keyboard with a new inexpensive (via 9to5toys discount) Logitech keyboard capable of pairing with 3 devices and instant connection when turned on so have dropped that idea. I use it when I'm doing a great deal of typing but the keyboard on the pro is quite good for fast touch typing with its 4 rows (most of the time). i also consider the Pencil just outstanding--I did use an Adonit bt stylus which is very good but the Pencil is truly terrific.

So, no upgrade this time.

Most reactions

Latest posts