What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I delete over 9000 emails in an easy way

Zoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded to iOS 5 on my iPad 1.
All seems to be ok except for my emails which I have always deleted every day
and always emptied my trash daily so I had 0 emails hanging around.

This morning I has over 9000 of read emails in my inbox. They load 42 at a time and I delete them
and next time I turn my email on another 42 download.

What can I do?
Where have these emails been hiding. Like I said I always emptied my trash.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon account and a Gmail account. Deleting the Verizon emails on the iPad doesn't affect my inbox on my Macbook. Deleting the Gmail messages on the iPad is the same as deleting them on my Macbook. I find it a nuisance to delete them on the iPad, but have never experienced your problem. Are your 42 message chunks the same 42 messages? or 42 different messages? Sounds like spam to me. I know this doesn't help, but hopefully some of the more knowledgable folks on here will have an answer.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would delete them in gmail as you can search and delete all on one hit. Then gmail will sync the changes to your devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you have web access, I would go to the e-mail account on the web and then delete them from there. It'll be much faster than deleting them from the iPad...

I believe your bigger problem is that you don't have your iPad set up to delete mails from the server when you delete them from the iPad.

So, what type of account do you use: POP or IMAP/Exchange? Depending on which, you can modify how deleted mail is treated by going to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" portion of your Settings app.

"Fixing" your settings won't delete the 9000+ emails you have; you'll still have to delete them manually. But, it'll set it up so that future e-mail management works better.

Marilyn

OP
Z

Zoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
Marilyn, you are right, I finally called my server this morning and they explained that I am using pop and that my emails after I delete them are gone from my iPad and pc but they stay on my servers account.
They kindly deleted my 9000+ emails even though they could only do 100 at a time.
Now this only happened after I downloaded iOS 5 , all is ok now. When I receive email I just delete and nothing new is coming back.
Thanks

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Assuming you have web access, I would go to the e-mail account on the web and then delete them from there. It'll be much faster than deleting them from the iPad...

I believe your bigger problem is that you don't have your iPad set up to delete mails from the server when you delete them from the iPad.

So, what type of account do you use: POP or IMAP/Exchange? Depending on which, you can modify how deleted mail is treated by going to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" portion of your Settings app.

"Fixing" your settings won't delete the 9000+ emails you have; you'll still have to delete them manually. But, it'll set it up so that future e-mail management works better.

Marilyn

So, Marilyn, can one adjust a setting so that messages are deleted using a pop account?

"So, what type of account do you use: POP or IMAP/Exchange? Depending on which, you can modify how deleted mail is treated by going to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" portion of your Settings app."

Or did you mean that it depends on the type of account as to whether or not you can?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My main e-mail (had it for years before the advent of the iPad) is a POP account. It's a Roadrunner account from Time Warner.

All that said, I can set it up to have the emails deleted when I remove them from my inbox. To do so, I went to my Settings app and went to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." I selected my Roadrunner account and then selected the Advanced settings. In there was an option to delete mail from the server "When removed from Inbox."

It works a treat for me (I check my Roadrunner account every now and then, just to make sure). The emails are gone from the server.

I cannot speak for other POP accounts - but here's hoping that yours can be worked the same way.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts