What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving an email

chrismacgowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using email on my iPad I would love to be able to move an email into a file to store it so it is east to locate later. I am well aware of the EDIT control which allows me to delete or move but it is a question of move to where? All I have is INBOX, SENT and TRASH. I have number of email accounts and I CAN move an email to one of my accounts where I happen to have some pre-defined files such as work or personal but that it all a bit of a pain and the email kind of feels in the wrong place anyway!

There are plenty of empty boxes beneath INBOX, SENT and TRASH so can I create some more files into which I could move emails?

Sincerely

Christopher

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The extra folders all reside on your mail server. You need to create them there. If you have web access to the account you should be able to do it there. If it is on a company site you would probably have to set them up at work.

If you tell us what provider you are using some one with the same provider might be able to tell you how to set them up.

Note, that while these folders can be handy, you need internet access to browse, add, or remove mail when using the iPad.

OP
chrismacgowan

chrismacgowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moving emails to files.

Many thanks! I am mostly on MSN Hotmail (premium) and on my PC I have about 20 files which for some reason do not show up on my iPad email. I also am on gmail and they DO show up. Will play around with MSN and see if I can redo them so they DO replicate on my iPad.

I am grateful for your response.

Christopher

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a thread awhile back about the poor support of HotMail on iPads. Not sure that ever led to any good news.

If the folders already exist on HotMail be sure you're opening the Mailbox in e-mail and not the Inbox. iPad e-mail typicallty lists all your inboxes on top and the mailboxes with folders on the bottom of the list. I found this about confusing when I first upgraded to iOS 4.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That was my first guess, but when you are viewing one of the Inboxes you can't see any of the other folders, including Trash and Sent.

OP
chrismacgowan

chrismacgowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moving emails.

I've got no experience with Hotmail, but if it supports IMAP, use that to connect to your account. It should help.

There was a thread awhile back about the poor support of HotMail on iPads. Not sure that ever led to any good news.

If the folders already exist on HotMail be sure you're opening the Mailbox in e-mail and not the Inbox. iPad e-mail typicallty lists all your inboxes on top and the mailboxes with folders on the bottom of the list. I found this about confusing when I first upgraded to iOS 4.

I seem unable to get the files I have in MSN to appear so my Plan B is to move files I want moved into my iPad Yahoo! Account which DOES have the files appearing. Idiosyncratic or what??

Christopher.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do what you have to do.

If you are open to changing your primary email account you could always open a Google one and forward all the other accounts there. Other than the MobileMe account it is probably the most iPad friendly of the bunch, and free too.

Stereo flab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You do what you have to do.

If you are open to changing your primary email account you could always open a Google one and forward all the other accounts there. Other than the MobileMe account it is probably the most iPad friendly of the bunch, and free too.

Agreed. I use gmail now and the web interface is fine. I simply set-up my other pop3 mail to forward all mails to gmail.

andjoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was my first guess, but when you are viewing one of the Inboxes you can't see any of the other folders, including Trash and Sent.

Hi, first post, joined to help you withnthis question. At the top right of the email on your iPad is a group of icons. The one on the left like a Folder and arrow touch that then it will show all your folders that you can select to where you would like your email moved to.

Hope that helps, I may stick around, be good :
andjoh

OP
chrismacgowan

chrismacgowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email moving

Many thanks for your response. Appreciated. In fact I am OK with the process you described. My unhappiness comes from most of my files NOT being listed so I cannot move emails into them!! my main account is with MSN Hotmail and the ONLY files listed are In, Sent and Trash. But in my Hotmail account I have some more and they just plain do not show up. The general view seems to be that Microsoft would need to be encouraged to help on this and that seems a forlorn hope!!

Christopher

Most reactions