What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I buy an iPad 2 in the US and use in the UK?

stepers1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer my question.

I'm travelling to the US shortly and plan to return with an iPad 2. I will I be ok to use it in the UK. For example will I be able to use my existing UK iTunes account?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

Yes, it'll be fine to use over here, you may need to get a new plug adaptor though for charging.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html & hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The only caveat is don't buy the verizon one if your wanting to use 3g outside of the USA.

THe verizon version is CDMA and doesn't support SIM cards so you would have no possibility of 3g in the EU. Doesn't matter if you only getting the wifi version tho.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to elaborate on what DefBref pointed out. You need to buy the AT&T version of the iPad (not the Verizon one). That's because they have different chips - and the Verizon CDMA one only works in the US and parts of Canada, AFAIK.

The AT&T one is good world-wide.

Oh, and we've not received any definite word - but some people have reported problems with their 3G AT&T iPads if they don't activate them in the USA first. One poster said everything worked fine ... but we never got details. Just a caution...

Of course, if you're only getting a WiFi-only version, then never mind. :eek:

Hope you have a good trip and a good visit here.

Marilyn

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to elaborate on what DefBref pointed out. You need to buy the AT&T version of the iPad (not the Verizon one). That's because they have different chips - and the Verizon CDMA one only works in the US and parts of Canada, AFAIK.

The AT&T one is good world-wide.

Oh, and we've not received any definite word - but some people have reported problems with their 3G AT&T iPads if they don't activate them in the USA first. One poster said everything worked fine ... but we never got details. Just a caution...

Excellent post!

sumnerpn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my IPad in the USA it works fine in the UK including my iTunes account. Then only thing you will need is a US to UK plug.

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my IPad in the USA it works fine in the UK including my iTunes account. Then only thing you will need is a US to UK plug.
Was this an AT&T which is GSM?

Reason I ask is because when I bought my iPad in Canada I asked specifically whether I needed to buy one for Rogers (they use GSM). the Apple guy said they are all unlocked so it wouldn't matter if I put a CDMA SIM in or a GSM card. There is no difference in the internals to the iPad just the sim card.
I got the Roger's one just in case and was able to switch it out for a Vodafone Sim in Iceland for $16 $CA for one month's service.

This does fly in the face of what we've heard on this board so it would be good to get real world experience.
Hugh

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple guy said they are all unlocked so it wouldn't matter if I put a CDMA SIM in or a GSM card. There is no difference in the internals to the iPad just the sim card.

There is no such thing as a CDMA SIM card. The CDMA device needs to be programmed by the carrier to allow for use on their system. Right now Verizon is the only carrier licensed to do so, which means the CDMA version of the iPad or iPhone will not work on any other CDMA network in the world.

The only unit with a SIM card slot is the AT&T model - which uses the GSM radio, not the CDMA radio.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please remember, too, when you're comparing US and UK prices of the iPad that you'll be required to pay Import Duty and 20% VAT when you return to the UK with the iPad purchased in the US. This makes US prices look far less attractive.

Tim

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple guy said they are all unlocked so it wouldn't matter if I put a CDMA SIM in or a GSM card. There is no difference in the internals to the iPad just the sim card.

There is no such thing as a CDMA SIM card. The CDMA device needs to be programmed by the carrier to allow for use on their system. Right now Verizon is the only carrier licensed to do so, which means the CDMA version of the iPad or iPhone will not work on any other CDMA network in the world.

The only unit with a SIM card slot is the AT&T model - which uses the GSM radio, not the CDMA radio.

-t

We're getting a bit off the original topic I apologize for this.

To clarify my question/comment: In Canada I can buy an 3G iPad and get a sim card for three different companies. Roger's (GSM), Telus, or Bell (both CDMA).
IE All 3G iPads sold in Canada come with a SIM card slot.
As I understand the Apple guy who sold me my iPad, it's a simple matter of getting the SIM card of choice from either an Apple store or the appropriate cell company store.
There is no other programming required,(in Canada) other than to setup an account.
This was in response to my question to him about international travel.
He told me I could pickup a SIM card for whichever country I was travelling in regardless of which company I was using in Canada.
I have no idea what happens Verizon VS AT&T.

Iphone: My iPhone is on Bell (CDMA) and it worked in Iceland no problem as there are CDMA service providers there. Again I've no idea whats up with US phones or iPads.

Hugh

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Currently CDMA phones to not use a SIM card. The R-UIM technology that was developed in China to allow CDMA phones to use a SIM card has never been adopted.

If you have a SIM card it's for a GSM network.

The CDMA chip set is different from the GSM chip set in the phone itself.

There is some speculation that the iPhone 5 (maybe 6) will be dual radio supporting both GSM and CDMA with a programmable SIM card internal to the phone.

-t

OP
S

stepers1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I was planning on just buying a wi-fi version and using the iPhone wi-fi hotspot function to get access to the web.

Most reactions

Latest posts