What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying iPad2 - in the US or in the UK

Arab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am living in the US, but moving back home to the UK within the next year. Will an iPad2 bought in the US need an adaptor to charge in the UK? I guess buying a 3G model would not be a good idea, but will the WiFi part be ok in the UK? Any other reasons why I might want to wait until I return to the UK to buy the iPad2?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but (1) you can easily get an adapter to charge the iPad in the UK and (2) if you want one, get the 3G version, 'cause it'll also work in the UK (you'll need a UK carrier, though). Oh, and get the AT&T model, as there is something about the Verizon set-up that doesn't work well in Europe.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 is right - there's no problem getting an iPad2 bought in the US to work in the UK. You need only change the power adaptor - you can get them from any Apple Store or a simple IEC connector will work (the two-pin sort you use to connect most mains-powered radios etc to the power outlet). The charger is universal and doesn't need to be changed.

As Mickey suggested, there's no problem with 3G either but you must get the AT&T version, which uses GSM. The Verizon version uses CDMA and that is not supported almost anywhere else in the world other than the US and a small number of Canadian locations, I believe. You might want to initialise the 3G account in the US with a pre-pay AT&T card. When you get to the UK you can simply buy a microSIM from a UK operator and it will work straightaway 'out of the box'. Some members have reported 'issues' if the iPad has not had its 3G account initialised in the US.

I am not sure about VAT and Customs Duty issues if you're permanently moving back to the UK - you would need to check that out too.

Tim

OP
A

Arab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice - but by an adaptor, are we talking voltage conversion, or a simple gadget that accepts one set of pins and delivers a different set of pins to stick in the wall?

I am not certain about getting 3G as I am not sure I want to use the Ipad2 as a phone - just asking for trouble. Have just had a visitor from the UK who inadvertantly racked up a £1000 phone bill as he did not realise that when he used his (Android) GPS system it did not disconnect ...

I do not want an open ended appliance that can rack up bills unexpectedly! I wil continue to use my steam age cell phone ...

As for UK customs and excise - as I understand it, if I buy things here (relevant US taxes paid) and use them as a temporary US resident, I should not be liable for customs and excise when I return to the UK.

THANKS!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arab said:
Thanks for your advice - but by an adaptor, are we talking voltage conversion, or a simple gadget that accepts one set of pins and delivers a different set of pins to stick in the wall?

I am not certain about getting 3G as I am not sure I want to use the Ipad2 as a phone - just asking for trouble. Have just had a visitor from the UK who inadvertantly racked up a £1000 phone bill as he did not realise that when he used his (Android) GPS system it did not disconnect ...

I do not want an open ended appliance that can rack up bills unexpectedly! I wil continue to use my steam age cell phone ...

As for UK customs and excise - as I understand it, if I buy things here (relevant US taxes paid) and use them as a temporary US resident, I should not be liable for customs and excise when I return to the UK.

THANKS!

Yes, if you have some apps and maybe music installed, a few emails then customs should be fine.

The Archangel

Reaction score
Arab said:

All Apple chargers are multi voltage compatible, so they will work with either 240, or 110V without problems. You only need a simple plug adapter.

Regarding the high roaming charges, you can simply turn of Roaming under 3G settings. Or use a local SIM to prevent the high charges.

Jwin97

iPF Noob
Reaction score

3G will not turn the iPad into a phone. It only allows to access a provider's wireless broadband network.

Most reactions

Latest posts