Can Android do that? Can iOS do that?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by KevinJS, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I miss this feature very much and tried very hard on both an android phone and an iPhone to replicate the feature.

In essence it is the ability to create a white list of contacts and assign rules and alerts to them as a group or individually then invoke the white list rules as a do not disturb type profile. Only family and critical business contacts defined to the white list would result in my phone making me aware someone is trying to reach me when the profile was made active.

As zphone asks......can either iOS or Android do this or is it a function only RIM has?

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    My situation is really about iPhone, not iPad, but typically the apps are quite the same.

On Android, I had an app called Mr. Number. This little app would block all calls from numbers not in my contacts, or would send them immediately to voice mail. And it would block text messages from numbers not in my contacts. Right now, on my 4S with iOS 5.1, I'm running naked and people are calling leaving long messages on my voicemail or sending me stupid text messages, as if I would ever buy or use any product that came to me this way. I can only block 5 numbers on Verizon, without paying them more. And it doesn't even matter because the numbers are always changing. I have already blocked texts coming from an email address or web.

This is driving me batty. If I can't find an app to fix this, then I'm going to have to go for the jail break. I seem to recall seeing such an app for JB'ed iPhone in some ad posted on the Hardware forum.

3. Darkstar2007

Darkstar2007
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    The jailbroken app your referring to is "iBlacklist". :)

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks...I have the page to it open in another window..but I'm not convinced it works as I wish it to. I want it to block any number NOT in my contacts, rather than letting me put numbers on a list. No one I know is bugging me, just those people who think they can make a living by cold calling or cold texting me.

5. Darkstar2007

Darkstar2007
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It's been a while since I've had the app, but you might be right.
    It could either be a breeze, or a headache to manually add the numbers to that list. Depending on how many contacts you have. :D

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Mr. Number would just look at your contact list, so the user had nothing to do. Any number not in contacts either got hung up on or sent to voicemail. Loved it.

7. no1up

no1up
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    it's been over a year since I used it, but I think you can have a white list... which is what your looking for..

Also for an earlier post, you can send apps vie your PC to phone from the android market. You can not gift apps, which sucks.

before jumping to android I was a heavy pages user on iPad, I created some KILLER docs with pages and iPad 1.... while making the switch I worried about this. Well android does have some nice office apps, however pages is still king.. :)

no rainbow six on android.

no MicroSD on iProducts, this is why I have an android phone, but for a tablet I don't need and SD card so iPad it is.

I LOVE my Galaxy note, but I don't use widgets really, and I have to this day NEVER been able to use live wallpaper (I only owns high end android phones) it always makes my top of the line phone lag, and drain battery..

iPad, has shogun! love that game.

what else.. lol

8. eep02b

eep02b
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I currently have an android phone, android tablet, and iPad. As far as the email goes, you can make specific folders and have specific notifications for messages sent to specific folders on the stock android gmail app. This only works with gmail accounts if I'm not mistaken.

9. magpiemini

magpiemini
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I want a Thumb Keyboard on my iPad 4G that has the features of this one on Android...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wOSwibmV0LmNkZWd1ZXQuc21hcnRrZXlib2FyZHBybyJd

It has arrow keys, numbers, letters and common symbols all at once. The arrows and keys are very useful. Plus it is docked. The one we are stuck with is in the middle and very anoying because you can't scoll the screen up to uncover the box that you are typing in.

10. magpiemini

magpiemini
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I want to be able to add attachments to Gmail on my iPad, Android can

I want to be able to save attachments in Gmail even if the iPad can not understand them, Android can (but I think that is related to my next wish)

I wish my iPad had a file system so multiple apps can access the same file without having to store the file off my iPad, Android can, but I don't think that will happen