What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can an iPad be "locked down"?

ksaneii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to know if Apple allows for an App to basically Lock Down an iPad. By that I mean everything that gets exposed will be from that app, but nothing else can be exposed, added, etc. System boots come up to the app flash screen, no concept of going to other applications. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

We're looking to build an app for a Linux-based touchscreen ipad-like appliance, and we require the device to be locked down. That's easy for a touchscreen Linux app, but we're wondering if Apple allows this for an iPad?

Thanks!

K.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to know if Apple allows for an App to basically Lock Down an iPad. By that I mean everything that gets exposed will be from that app, but nothing else can be exposed, added, etc. System boots come up to the app flash screen, no concept of going to other applications. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

We're looking to build an app for a Linux-based touchscreen ipad-like appliance, and we require the device to be locked down. That's easy for a touchscreen Linux app, but we're wondering if Apple allows this for an iPad?

Thanks!

K.

Definitely not.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put it in a steel box and tie chains around it that are anchored to your floor.
That would be a real lock down!

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think once the iPad jailbreak is released, this will happen. You will have a App that can hide icons. Only way to bring them back, is to open the App, which would be password protected. Itunes, the Appstore, etc... could all be hidden. But I am not sure what would happen, once connected to a PC. I am guessing the pc appstore, etc.. would still add the apps? Hmmmm.

Umdterps2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.vikrampant.com
For an iPhone the enterprise deployment docs say that an admin can create policies which limit the usage of an iPhone... Ex, no YouTube or wifi, etc... I assume iPad is similar... You can have a tablet with one app icon, but a direct boot is a no go based on how the os and app sandbox architecture work.

Most reactions

Latest posts