What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can an iPad be "locked down"?

ksaneii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to know if Apple allows for an App to basically Lock Down an iPad. By that I mean everything that gets exposed will be from that app, but nothing else can be exposed, added, etc. System boots come up to the app flash screen, no concept of going to other applications. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

We're looking to build an app for a Linux-based touchscreen ipad-like appliance, and we require the device to be locked down. That's easy for a touchscreen Linux app, but we're wondering if Apple allows this for an iPad?

Thanks!

K.

jkduke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in something similar for an academic library. I want to try making them reading devices for paid content. I don't want users who want to surf the Web or use the device in other ways to be able to do so, since that would make it much more difficult for users who need that content.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Dont think you can do exactly what you want.
But check out the iPhone Configuration utility that apple gives out on their website. It will let you lock it down but probably not as well as your trying to do.

seecoolguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no it certainly does not, i'm using iphone configuration utility 3.1 and while i can hide the itunes, safari, app store icons, I cannot hide email, contacts or maps? dunno why it won't let me... next step is to look at MDM servers and see if their products allow this?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Have you thought about just making a custom ipad case that covers the home button?
It would probably be less trouble and quicker thing to do.

Or even get a hard plastic case, and add a small strip of plastic over the home button hole on the inside. Then there is no more pressing of the home button or exiting of your app.

Case manufactures, out there here is a market you can target. Make an ipad case that is hard plastic and durable to be able to withstand the beating that random people handling an ipad would do. Features could be:

#1 small security whole or loop to lock down the ipad so people cant walk off with it. Standard laptop security whole would be nice, then any laptop lockdown cable can be used.

#2 home button can be covered and locked so people cannot press the home button but easily opened by authorized users. number combination to unlock/uncover home button.

Last edited:

Kross

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you thought about just making a custom ipad case that covers the home button?
It would probably be less trouble and quicker thing to do.

Or even get a hard plastic case, and add a small strip of plastic over the home button hole on the inside. Then there is no more pressing of the home button or exiting of your app.

Case manufactures, out there here is a market you can target. Make an ipad case that is hard plastic and durable to be able to withstand the beating that random people handling an ipad would do. Features could be:

#1 small security whole or loop to lock down the ipad so people cant walk off with it. Standard laptop security whole would be nice, then any laptop lockdown cable can be used.

#2 home button can be covered and locked so people cannot press the home button but easily opened by authorized users. number combination to unlock/uncover home button.

I have someone shipping me a prototype of such a case now. I will post pics on the thread I've been managing for a few months now... The thread link is in my previous post, but here it is again: kiosk mode - lock users in an App - Mac Forums

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have someone shipping me a prototype of such a case now. I will post pics on the thread I've been managing for a few months now... The thread link is in my previous post, but here it is again: kiosk mode - lock users in an App - Mac Forums

As developer and manufacturer, i am sorry to told you this will not be a practical solution , without home button how do you wake up the device in sleeping mode ??

We are currently working on a stand can lock the iPad with a cable , for library or fair booth …. so i guess we i know what we are talking about

seecoolguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no it certainly does not, i'm using iphone configuration utility 3.1 and while i can hide the itunes, safari, app store icons, I cannot hide email, contacts or maps? dunno why it won't let me... next step is to look at MDM servers and see if their products allow this?

Ok, Took a look at Mobile Iron and Air

they will only hide what Apple's API let's you hide, so the obvious next step is to code a solution. We are expected to get the enterprise license, so I figure I should be able to traverse the file structure and simply issue a delete right?

so if I wanted to delete the Photo's icon it's simply deleting the following path from what I can tell...
/private/var/mobile/Media/Photos

so something like
Code:
filePath2 = "[B]/private/var/mobile/Media/Photos"[/B][COLOR=#11740A][I]// Attempt to delete the file at filePath2[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR=#A61390]if[/COLOR] [COLOR=#002200]([/COLOR][COLOR=#002200][[/COLOR]fileMgr removeItemAtPath[COLOR=#002200]:[/COLOR]filePath2 error[COLOR=#002200]:&[/COLOR]error[COLOR=#002200]][/COLOR] [COLOR=#002200]!=[/COLOR] [COLOR=#A61390]YES[/COLOR][COLOR=#002200])[/COLOR]   NSLog[COLOR=#002200]([/COLOR][COLOR=#BF1D1A]@[/COLOR][COLOR=#BF1D1A]"Unable to delete file: %@"[/COLOR], [COLOR=#002200][[/COLOR]error localizedDescription[COLOR=#002200]][/COLOR][COLOR=#002200])[/COLOR];   [COLOR=#11740A][I]// Show contents of Documents directory[/I][/COLOR] NSLog[COLOR=#002200]([/COLOR][COLOR=#BF1D1A]@[/COLOR][COLOR=#BF1D1A]"Documents directory: %@"[/COLOR],          [COLOR=#002200][[/COLOR]fileMgr contentsOfDirectoryAtPath[COLOR=#002200]:[/COLOR]documentsDirectory error[COLOR=#002200]:&[/COLOR]error[COLOR=#002200]][/COLOR][COLOR=#002200])[/COLOR];

GaryD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad CAN be "locked down"

If your iPad is sometimes left alone or is vulnerable to theft, check out the new STAYPad security enclosure for the iPad.

All metal construction, you can bolt or cable the STAYPad to a table.

Silly name.

The STAYPad can also be used to quickly create an iPad kiosk system.

Made by Doss Industries.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We're looking to build an app for a Linux-based touchscreen ipad-like appliance, and we require the device to be locked down. That's easy for a touchscreen Linux app, but we're wondering if Apple allows this for an iPad?

For the Paris auto show, BMW ued iPads running a configuration app to show what options each model could be ordered like. They solved this problem by prying out the Home button! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts