What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking down iPad to only run Square Up Register app

BMHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings:

I just ordered a used first gen iPad for our small business for the sole purpose of running "Square Up" register app (the credit card swipe app) so we can accept credit card payments. I have not received the iPad yet (It's coming on Tuesday)

Here's what would be ideal for me: iPad boots up and automatically loads Square, employee CANNOT close it, minimize it, access the desktop, or any other application (ESPECIALLY system settings or itunes) without a password. I'm thinking along the lines of "Demo mode" or "Kiosk mode" if there is such a thing.

And if my ideal situation isn't possible, then what I absolutely need as a bare minimum is: Password protecting or somehow restriscting ALL apps (including settings & itunes) except for the Square register app.

I don't mind paying a bit of money for some high quality apps to accomplish this. I'm also very capable with coding (I'm an IT director and a programmer), but iOS is completely new to me. Can any of you gurus point me in the right direction? Give me the lead on a good app or two, or tell me how to configure the iPad to do this?

Greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance. Cheers!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings:

I just ordered a used first gen iPad for our small business for the sole purpose of running "Square Up" register app (the credit card swipe app) so we can accept credit card payments. I have not received the iPad yet (It's coming on Tuesday)

Here's what would be ideal for me: iPad boots up and automatically loads Square, employee CANNOT close it, minimize it, access the desktop, or any other application (ESPECIALLY system settings or itunes) without a password. I'm thinking along the lines of "Demo mode" or "Kiosk mode" if there is such a thing.

And if my ideal situation isn't possible, then what I absolutely need as a bare minimum is: Password protecting or somehow restriscting ALL apps (including settings & itunes) except for the Square register app.

I don't mind paying a bit of money for some high quality apps to accomplish this. I'm also very capable with coding (I'm an IT director and a programmer), but iOS is completely new to me. Can any of you gurus point me in the right direction? Give me the lead on a good app or two, or tell me how to configure the iPad to do this?

Greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance. Cheers!

You don't need to purchase an app, if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Guided Access, and turn it on. Here is the Apple page on guided access.Guided Access

OP
B

BMHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to purchase an app, if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Guided Access, and turn it on. Here is the Apple page on guided access.

Thank you very much!

OP
B

BMHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK From what I've been reading, you cannot update a first generation iPad to iOS6. The ipad I ordered was first generation, so this puts me squarely back at step 1.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you thought about using an iPad 2 instead, or is it too late to change.

OP
B

BMHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered a used (like new) iPad 2. When the other one arrives, I'll just send it back.

OP
B

BMHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will do! Now, is it ABSOLUTELY SURE that I can run ios6 on the ipad 2???

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will do! Now, is it ABSOLUTELY SURE that I can run ios6 on the ipad 2???

Yes, the iPad 2 will run the latest version of iOS, which at this time is iOS 6.1. Here is a screenshot from my iPad 2 on iOS 6.1.

image-2094567483.jpgAs you can see, guided access is available.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts