What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling All Users of PhotoAlbums+

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Help!

I did a stooopid move that I can't fix. Now I need the collective brain...

While helping someone with this tweak, PhotoAlbums+, I made a password protected folder. It was just a test and was supposed to be temporary. Despite my brief mental thought about doing so - I, like an idiot, didn't write down the password.

Yep, you guessed it! I've forgotten the password and now I cannot use that folder (in the Photo app). I also can't delete it!

I have restored and rejailbroke ... twice (once with JailbreakMe 3.0 and once with sn0wbreeze). I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, restored, resprung - sometimes all at the same time. Nothing. No matter what I do, that durn folder shows up and it's nicely locked.

I've been through the .plist and everywhere else I can think, looking for that password.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone know if that password is in some file somewhere? Knowing my luck, it's probably there, but encrypted. But still, I've got to try!

I know, it's not the end of the world - but it sure is annoying, seeing that folder sitting there. Especially when I know that I did it to myself!

Oh, and I've e-mailed the developer, asking for assistance. I've not heard back - probably because the guy is still laughing and can't type his response.

Please. Anyone have any [constructive - :D] advice/assistance?

TIA.

Marilyn

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used it for months, about your only option is to go into the photos folders using ifile, photoalbums+ doesn't encrypt them in the file system.

Whatthe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn! Come on. :)

One way is to restore with iTunes and not restore from a backup. Set up as a new iPad. Sucks, but it will work.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. I hear you about the restore as new ...

But.

That file is not in either my iTunes or Cydia (PKGBackup) backup files. It was uninstalled (with a reboot after) before I did anything. Are you telling me that this program, which is not on my iPad when I restore/rejailbreak and is not in my backup files when I restore, is somehow still on my iPad? I've even checked, before the restore, that the .plist is gone (cause sometimes they do hang about in Preferences).

Cause that's not playing fair! :)

And, if that's what it's going to end up being the solution? I guess I've adopted a new folder, cause a year's worth of data is not worth losing over a silly folder.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Whatthe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. I hear you about the restore as new ...

But.

That file is not in either my iTunes or Cydia (PKGBackup) backup files. It was uninstalled (with a reboot after) before I did anything. Are you telling me that this program, which is not on my iPad when I restore/rejailbreak and is not in my backup files when I restore, is somehow still on my iPad? I've even checked, before the restore, that the .plist is gone (cause sometimes they do hang about in Preferences).

Cause that's not playing fair! :)

And, if that's what it's going to end up being the solution? I guess I've adopted a new folder, cause a year's worth of data is not worth losing over a silly folder.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Some tweaks can be backed up to iTunes. At least their data can be. That's why a new restore is the only way I see.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd keep trying passwords :) if it's that easy for you to backup and restore your jailbreak (I live in fear with my 3G iPad 2), it might be time to start rootin' around with ifile.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to speculate (I'm not a user of this tweak), then I would suggest that because it is a tweak to the stock iPhoto app, it is probably saving it's config in the normal photo store, and this is why the settings will appear to survive a full restore. The only way to avoid it, is not to restore from backup OR to find out where it saves the setting and get rid of it...

You may be able to use something like iBackupBot to interrogate the iTunes backup file on your PC and track it down...

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to speculate (I'm not a user of this tweak), then I would suggest that because it is a tweak to the stock iPhoto app, it is probably saving it's config in the normal photo store, and this is why the settings will appear to survive a full restore. The only way to avoid it, is not to restore from backup OR to find out where it saves the setting and get rid of it...

You may be able to use something like iBackupBot to interrogate the iTunes backup file on your PC and track it down...

Oh, Leigh, if you were here - I'd give you a big hug, a kiss on the cheek and a cold beverage of your choice!!! I so owe you...

Cause yep, it was in the "regular" backup, under some of the photo management stuff.

I got iBackupBot and was able to find the password. Took a bit of digging but I found it, put it into the password field and bam! That durn folder is gone!!!

:Me doing the happy dance:

Thanks again, Leigh - and thanks to all who chipped in to offer suggestions. I love me this forum!

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Oh, Leigh, if you were here - I'd give you a big hug, a kiss on the cheek and a cold beverage of your choice!!! I so owe you...

Cause yep, it was in the "regular" backup, under some of the photo management stuff.

I got iBackupBot and was able to find the password. Took a bit of digging but I found it, put it into the password field and bam! That durn folder is gone!!!

Thanks again, Leigh - and thanks to all who chipped in to offer suggestions. I love me this forum!

Marilyn

Always happy to help M. You can owe me a nice bottle of Napa Valley Zin. I'll call it in one day :D

LionhartXI

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Do you mind telling me the exact place you found your password? I am digging around with ibackupbot and I can't find anything!

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mind telling me the exact place you found your password? I am digging around with ibackupbot and I can't find anything!

Nope don't mind. I saved the instructions on what I did, just in case I did it again. So, here's what I did:

1) Open iBackupBot
2) Ensure iPad's backup file is highlighted in left column
3) On the RH, scroll until you find the file Media/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite; doubleclick to select it
4) In the pop-up that appears, click on PhotoAlbum
5) Find the name of the password protected folder (will be under the column Title)
6) In the UID column, there will be a long number containing the phrase "...%PASSWORD%..."
7) The password for the protected folder are all the numbers/letters after the second % symbol
8) Enter that password into the field on the iPad and your folder will open/can be deleted

Hope this helps. Note that I did use the paid-for version of iBackupBot, though I don't know if that makes a difference. Good luck.

Marilyn

michaelkeay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. I made a similar stoopid mistake. But I cannot make the fix work. When I doubleclick on Media/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite it brings up a trial box (buy me) and then the left hand column is database / tables with a bunch of "Z" options underneath such as ZADJUSTMENT, ZALBUMLIST, ZKEYWORD ZGENERICASSET. I have selected them all in turn and each brings up tabular data in the RH side - most headings are Z_xxx but no photoalbum popup or Title / UID and no hint of a password in any of it.

Is it because I am using the trial do you think? Quite expensive to just delete a folder :)
Pse see screenshot. I guess this is not the photoalbum popup?

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• ibackup screenshot.jpg
    ibackup screenshot.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 596
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. It may have changed because this was back when I was still using the iPad1 ... on iOS 4.something (I think). My iBackupBot doesn't look as I remember it, nor do I see that file any longer, either. To further complicate things, I don't have PhotoAlbums+ installed on my iPad3, so I can't look around for you.

So, here are two screenshots of my iPad3 backup (using the iBackupBot program). They show you my best guess as to where you might find the password. No guarantees (nor can I tell you is the trial version will help...). Anyway, the two photos:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339791971.786710.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339791984.755861.jpg

I hope this helps because I have no other idea. I never did hear back from the developer, but if this doesn't work for you, you might want to try e-mailing him.

Good luck.

Marilyn

michaelkeay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn
Many thanks for having a look. No luck as yet but I will keep looking. I did try the developer but no response. I will give him another dig

Thanks again
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts