What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brace yourselves for a dumb question.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
OK, my head is starting to throb now.
I clicked on the AppShopper Free version and downloaded it but it doesn't do anything at all except just sit there and glare at me. Maybe after I do a sync it will work a lot better from the iPad but you noticed that I said in the OP that I wanted to use the computer, didn't you? You didn't?? Tsk, Tsk at you all thinking of me as a numpty. :D

ps ... I was smiling as I wrote that last bit, not growling.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
5teve said:
sjleworthy ... Thanks for trying but "Search through" is NOT the same thing as "Download" in proper English as spoken wherever folk speak proper English.

kaykaykay and Bimjo .... Aaaaah, so to get to iPad Apps, I need to run iTunes? Why did nobody say??
Ta very much.

Nobody said because it's fairly obvious, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

That's so funny,you not only get good tech advice on here you get a laugh too,thanks for that.

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody said because it's fairly obvious,IMO.

Maybe in Geekworld it's obvious that to find iPad Apps you look in iTunes but I assure you that it ain't all that obvious in Oldfartworld which is where I currently live.

ps ... I'll give that AppShopper a go.
Thanks all.

Ok, in iTunes on your computer, not the iPad, click the Apps Store button. The upper right side of the screen should look like this:
itunes1 copy.jpg

Click the iPad button under the Podcasts button.
Where long button under the blue banner on the right says All Categories, click the arrow and select the category you want to search, for example, Productivity.

When the screen changes, there will be a section near the middle of the screen (vertically) that says All Productivity iPad Apps. Looks like this:
itunes2 copy.jpg

Click the free Button and then click the See All link.

That will show you all the free Apps in that category. You will have to do this for every category that you are interested in. There is no way that I'm aware of to do it any other way.

I hope this helps.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So Steve. You are trying to open that app on your computer?

Well, yeah. Why wouldn't I?
I trusted you guys to read the OP and note the bit where I said that I wanted to use MY COMPUTER to do a job. You guys told me to download the AppShopper App so why wouldn't I expect it to work on my computer?
My only other option is to think that you were purposely leading me up the garden path. Were you??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, my head is starting to throb now.
I clicked on the AppShopper Free version and downloaded it but it doesn't do anything at all except just sit there and glare at me. Maybe after I do a sync it will work a lot better from the iPad but you noticed that I said in the OP that I wanted to use the computer, didn't you? You didn't?? Tsk, Tsk at you all thinking of me as a numpty. :D

ps ... I was smiling as I wrote that last bit, not growling.

If you want to use a computer, go to the AppShopper website.

If you want to use your iPad, use the app. iPad apps work only on iPads and sometimes on iPod touch or iPhone.

Not sure why you want to search on computer instead of iPad, but in case you don't know, you can load apps on your iPad without synching with your computer. Then the next time you synch your iPad to iTunes on computer, you can transfer (copy) your apps to your iTunes account if you like. That might be too much info, but you might not know that you don't need to sit at your computer doing your app shopping?

Last edited:
OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bimjo ... I tried to follow your instructions but I didn't start well because I couldn't get to a picture like yours as a starting point. So then I tried to quit iTunes altogether (it was already running in the background) and start over. It was only by doing that that I saw that my sceen was only a partial screen that had been enlarged. because of that, the right hand side, as shown on YOUR screen wasn't showing at all on mine. Once I got that bit figured out, I found my way to the free apps.
I can now browse through them at my leisure and use Google on another tab to get reviews on any particular App as well as get a better idea of what it does which was the reason for wanting to see the free Apps on my computer in the first place.

Thanks all.
**Is now a happy bunny**

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts