BlackBerry Announces BBM Coming to iOS This Summer

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, May 14, 2013.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [FONT=&amp]
    [​IMG]

BlackBerry today confirmed a rumour that first appeared on Boy Genius Report a while back, and that some might have thought would actually never happen, by announcing that BlackBerry Messenger will be coming to iOS and Android sometime this summer, once it gets approval from Apple and Google. The news caused such a stir that it was trending worldwide today. In a post on the “Inside BlackBerry†blog, BlackBerry outlined its plans for its flagship service, saying,

“We’ve got some exciting news designed to make it easier for you to connect with your entire mobile social network.â€

Basically what this means is that people can connect with their friends and family on BlackBerry Messenger without having to use a BlackBerry to do so. In the announcement, BlackBerry details the key features that users can expect to enjoy once the app is released:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Speaking at BlackBerry Live 2013, Andrew Brocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BlackBerry says that if and when the BBM app is approved by Apple and Google, it will be released as a free download. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] BBM for iOS and Android to Launch This Summer «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
  2. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I don't know anyone who still uses a Blackberry...
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Well, apparently, there must be someone using it as this company is still kicking. I have to admit that I had only a positive experience using BB phones, but obivously moved on like everyone else and don't see myself ever going back.
  4. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    I do and wish I hadn't bothered! Waiting for my contract to finish soon and then it's going to be an iPhone. Roll on August! :)
  5. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    My wife still has a Blackberry. Looks like her iPhone 5 will turn up just in time for her to talk to herself. Oh, wait. She does that already.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    You are a brave man telling us this, Kevin :D
  7. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Yes. I realized that as I posted it. Particularly since my son is a member and will show her this.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    lol,that did make me laugh.
  9. alicepattinson

alicepattinson iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Some of my friends still use Blackberry and I think this is a good idea that there will be a BBM to iOS :)
  10. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    My experience with BB has been pretty bad. I have a BB Bold 9780 and although the security aspect is robust, probably a little too robust, I have found certain settings are 'unstable' in that they change without any input from me and there is not as good a choice of useful apps available. BB is a good phone system but it just doesn't work for me. I bought mine initially because of the email and internet functions. My daughter, on the other hand, swears by hers and has no intention of changing. Me, I just can't wait for the day I can get my hands on my first iPhone in a couple of months.
  11. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    My experience with BB has been pretty bad. I have a BB Bold 9780 and although the security aspect is robust, probably a little too robust, I have found certain settings are 'unstable' in that they change without any input from me and there is not as good a choice of useful apps available. BB is a good phone system but it just doesn't work for me. I bought mine initially because of the email and internet functions. My daughter, on the other hand, swears by hers and has no intention of changing. Me, I just can't wait for the day I can get my hands on my first iPhone in a couple of months.
  12. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I saw BBM and immediately though big bowel movement. Guess that's not what it meant. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Maura

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Hilarious, Kevin! :D Tell her she can talk to Siri as well as herself! I love having a chat with Siri!
  14. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Oh, please don't get me started on Siri! Both Siri and I have had enough of listening to two ten-year-olds trying to set each other up on a date with her. I think her last response was "Can't we just be friends?"
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Spugnut

Spugnut iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The BlackBerry is still quite popular in South Africa due to the cost of data here.

Sent from my iPad using IPF
  16. Maura

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Love it! Sometimes Siri gets quite fed up with me and tells me to get on with my work! Seriously, cracks me up!
  17. Supercepot

Supercepot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, same case here in Indonesia, due to lower cost of BIS data plan and the handset itself.
    But I guess it's just the matter of time before more BB users would trash the BB and switch to Android-powered smartphones.
    As for me, I surely am going to get myself a new iPhone 5 soon to replace my aging BB 9800 Torch.
  18. mdholm

mdholm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    My work-issued phone is a BB Bold 9930. I hate it. I've had nothing but trouble since I received it two years ago. To be fair, though, I believe the troubles are from Sprint, and not the phone, as all of my issues are connectivity based. As long as I'm not trying to make a call it works fine. But I work from home and rely on my phone a lot to talk to my employees or our clients. After almost a year of battling with our IT department and Sprint tech support they are sending me an HTC EVO, which they think will work where the BB doesn't. I'm not convinced but we'll find out soon enough, I guess.
  19. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    Yes, mine has been playing up again today. I have a specific sound for my text messages from friends. Sometimes it sounds other times not. It is a real pain in the you know what. Still, not long to my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  20. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    Ah Blackberry,the company that refuses to die and keeps on troggling along!!!